Posted by Michele on Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 7:59pm.
Why do sociologists claim their knowledge is better than common views of society and society issues?
How would a sociologisy most likely respond to someone who says " The facts speak for themselves". Statement A or B and support your answer.
A. Because science is objective, the facts are always clear, and therefore, facts do speak for themselves.
B. Facts have no inherent meaning and need to be interpreted.
College sociology - bobpursley, Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 9:19pm
I have been reluctant to respond to this because my bias. I am a physical scientist, and our concept of measurement and data is somewhat different from social scientists.
I suspect that most social scientists do consider themselves to be following scientific analysis, and objective, and unbiased towards analysis, which lends to answer A.
My bias tells me that Answer B creeps in when drawing conclusions. Margaret Mead, Kinsey come to mind. You can make your own judgment, but for graded material, I would stick to Answer A, or be banished to the back of the class.
College sociology - Ms. Sue, Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 9:23pm
My education was in the social sciences, but I agree with Bobpursley.
College sociology - PsyDAG, Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 2:32pm
It depends on what you mean by "speak for themselves." If you find A > B, there is no problem in saying that A is greater on whatever dimension is being measured. However, when you expand your conclusions, the interpretation is less clear.
Also various studies may contradict each other. Then the facts are not as clear. The data-gathering methods have to be explored to attempt find out why these differences occur.
These articles might be helpful:
I hope this helps a little more. Thanks for asking.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- sociology - How a person respond to this type of statement? I am not sure how I ...
- Sociology - One of the primary differences between the study of Society done by ...
- Social! - How important is it that members of a society share certain views in ...
- sociology - You have been asked to address the importance of social institutions...
- social! - How important is it that members of a society share certain views in ...
- Sociology - How does studying social institutions help sociologists understand ...
- sociology - • How does studying social institutions help sociologists understand...
- sociology - One who believes in a social contract theory would most agree with ...
- Sociology - the variable that sociologists exphasize the most as being the ...
- Education/College - The role of education is society.... What types of ...