Posted by lily on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 11:25am.
Hello everybody! I need a huge favour! If someone is very very good at distinguishing metaphors from metonymys please leave an e-mail.I am going to send you some examples.So if anyone is willing to do it please say!
linguistics - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 12:29pm
Please post three of four here, along with your ideas about to distinguish them. Someone will be glad to help you.
Check this article.
linguistics - GuruBlue, Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 12:59pm
simplistically, a metaphor uses something that is not closely associated as a comparison " the leaves square danced across the courtyard".
A metonymy uses a word that is closely associated with the word. Here the word "turf" is closely associated with horse racing and is used.
linguistics - lily, Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 2:03pm
get stars in one's eyes - metaphor or metonymy?why?
linguistics - GuruBlue, Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 2:08pm
Are stars and eyes used interchangeably?
linguistics - lily, Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 2:12pm
well no..is this a metaphor then?
and keep one's eyes peeled?
linguistics - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 2:27pm
Yes. Keep one's eyes peeled is a metaphor. (We can peel apples, oranges, etc.; thankfully we can't peel eyes.)
linguistics - lily, Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 2:41pm
OK.this is a metaphor.Now i need to specify it..I don't know what I am supposed to do
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- cognitive linguistics - hi everybody.i am eriting an exam tomorrow morning..i ...
- English Literature - Hello, I'm a English Literature student. I'm going to make ...
- English - Hello. Thanks for the previous answers. Please have a look at the ...
- clarinet music - I will be doing my clarinet practice exam grade 4 LCM next May ...
- american history please help very important - I need to do very good on this and...
- English and grammar - i need someone to check my work but i cant just copy it ...
- Spanish - Voy a la piscina means I'm going to the pool, correct? Would I say I'm...
- English - Could you please check this sentence I need to include in a letter? 1...
- English - 1. Hello. May I speak to Tom? Speaking. Who's this? Hi,Tom. This is ...
- english - hello im a guy from Denmark, i have wrote an article, i'd be happy if ...