Posted by Jake on Monday, January 26, 2009 at 8:44pm.
Graph y=2x+1, then choose 3 points above the line. Give the coordinates of each point and tell wether it is greater than, less than or equal to
2x + 1 at each point.
algebra - Reiny, Monday, January 26, 2009 at 9:04pm
for any point that you choose above the line, the y-coordinate of that point would be greater than 2x+1
algebra - Jake, Monday, January 26, 2009 at 9:18pm
Doesn't the line go on forever, so how could you choose 3 points above it?
algebra - Reiny, Monday, January 26, 2009 at 9:28pm
did you draw the line.
for any line, unless it is vertical, you can be either above or below the line.
e.g. for your y = 2x + 1
consider (6,5), below above the line.
substitute the value x = 6
then y = 2(6)+1 = 13, but the y for your point was 5
since 5 < 13, the point (6,5) is below the line.
if x=3 in the equation y = 6+1 = 7
since 15 > 7, the point (3,15) is above the line.
Draw any non-vertical line on a piece of paper. Isn't there a region above that line and a region below that line no matter you imagine that line to go ??
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH - Give a response of at least 50 words to the following: Describe the graph...
- Math--Calculus - Let y = f(x) be the continuous function that satisfies the ...
- Algebra1 - graph of two infinite lines that intersect at a point. One line is ...
- Math - A lattice point is a point with integer coordinates. How many lattice ...
- Algebra - Use a graphing calculator or a computer to graph the system of ...
- math help please - Determine which function has the greater rate of change in ...
- math - Determine which function has the greater rate of change in questions 1...
- MATH - Determine which function has the greater rate of change in questions 1...
- graphing, math - How do you graph these types of problems. Graph each of the ...
- Math - A line 'l' intersects line 'm' at point A at 45 degree angle. B and C are...