Posted by Sophia on Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 9:40pm.
An airplane traveling 1001 m above the ocean at 125km/h is going to drop a box of supplies to shipwrecked victims below. What is the horizontal distance between the plane and the victims when the box is dropped?
- physics - Sophia, Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 10:28pm
The time is 14.3s, btw..
- physics - drwls, Monday, January 26, 2009 at 3:20am
The time T that it will take the box to fall 1001 m, neglectring air resistance, is given by the equation
(g/2)T^2 = 1001
T^2 = 2002/9.8 = 204.3 s^2
T = 14.3 s
The distance that the box moves forward while it falls is V*T.
You will need to convert the 125 km/h speed to ___ m/s to get the distance in meters.
- physics - Alison, Monday, November 16, 2009 at 6:15pm
divide -1001m by -4.905m/s^2
square root both sides
125km/hr is 56m/s
800.8m, that's the distance from the package dropped.
- physics - Alison, Monday, November 16, 2009 at 6:19pm
125km/hr is 34.7m/s
so 34.7*14.3 is 496.21m
- physics - Michael, Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 1:22pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - An airplane traveling 1001 m above the ocean at 125 km/h is going to ...
- physics - projectile motion question need help working through it an airplane ...
- Physics - An airplane traveling 1004 m above the ocean at 130 km/h is going to ...
- physics - An airplane traveling 1007 m above the ocean at 150 km/h is going to ...
- physics - An airplane traveling 1015 m above the ocean at 115 km/h is going to ...
- St. Andrews - An airplane traveling 1011 m above the ocean at 145 km/h is going ...
- physics - A airplane traveling 1019 m above the ocean at 135 km/h is to drop a ...
- physics - An airplane traveling 1001 meters above the ocean at 35 m/s is to drop...
- physics - An airplane traveling a constant 100.0 m/s is to drop supplies to ...
- physics - A plane needs to drop supplies off to victims of natural disasters ...