Posted by andy on Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 10:18pm.
So this is the case: liquid methanol, CH3OH is being prepared to be poured into a beaker of water.
(THERE CAN BE MORE THAN ONE ANSWER FOR Q1-3)
1) What intermolecular forces are broken in the methanol when these substances are mixed?
2) What intermolecular forces are broken in the water when these substances are mixed?
3) What intermolecular forces are formed in the solution when these substances are mixed?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 10:37pm
Look up each of the four types of forces in your text and answer the best you can giving reasons for your answer. We shall be happy to provide comment.
- chemistry - andy, Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 11:17pm
1) i think this one is hydrogen bonding because in CH3OH, the H is bonded to an O. I think my teacher said all bonds have a tiny bit of dispersion force, but the main force is the H-bond. I am also confused, isn't h-bond also considered a dipole-dipole interaction? it's polar.
but i think i would answer hydrogen-bond + dispersion force
(based on what teacher said that all bonds have some kind of dispersion force) OR is he wrong? dispersion is only for non-polar?
2) i think i would answer h-bond and dispersion again.
again, if it was INTRmolecular force then it would be dipole-dipole but it is talking about INTERmolecular so it would be h-bond. i based the dispersion that all molecules contain a tiny bit of dispersion force.
3) i don't really get this one. so is this saying CH3OH + h20 = what type of force formed?
i think h-bond since the O can be connected to the H?
GAHHHH I AM SO CONFUSED
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- CHEM URGENT - liquid methanol, CH3OH is being prepared to be poured into a ...
- chemistry - The enthalpy of fusion of water is 6.0 kJ/molrxn and that of ...
- chemistry - a student determines the molar mass of methanol by the method used ...
- chemistry - methanol CH3OH is used as race car fuel write the balanced equation ...
- Chemisty - What is the heat change in J associated with 44 g of solid methanol ...
- Chemistry - Methanol burns in oxygen to make carbon dioxide and water. The ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the molality of methanol in a solution prepared by ...
- Chemistry- Dr. Bob222 - Methanol (CH3OH) is a colorless volatile liquid, ...
- Chemistry - Methanol(MM=32.04g/mole) is sometimes used as fuel for race cars, ...
- CHEMISTRY - 1)Ethanol is made by the fermentation of sugar. (a)Suggest a ...