Posted by gagan on Friday, January 23, 2009 at 9:21am.
A water balloon is shot into the air so that its height h, in metres, after t seconds is
h = —4.9t^2 + 27t + 2.4
a)How high is the balloon after 1 s?
b)For how long is the balloon more than 30 m high?
c)What is the maximum height reached by the balloon?
d)When will the balloon hit the ground?
Can you please help me thanks and need this urgently plz plz plz plz and thanks a lot for doing this.
math - Reiny, Friday, January 23, 2009 at 9:31am
a) just sub t=1 into the function
b) set -4.9t^2 + 27t + 2.4 = 30
and solve. You should get two solution for t
The balloon will be above 30 m for all values of t between those two solutions
c) find the vertex, the max height is the h coordinate of the vertex
Use this method:
for y = ax^2 + bx + c, the x of the vertex is -b/(2a)
once you have that value, sub it back in to get the y.
(of course you are dealing with t instead of x, and h instead of y)
d) set —4.9t^2 + 27t + 2.4 = 0 and solve for t
One of the values of t will be negative, that would be an extraneous root.
math - gagan, Friday, January 23, 2009 at 9:41am
thnx a lot now i fully understand
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - A water balloon is shot into the air so that its height h, in metres, ...
- Math Grade 11 U - A water balloon is catapulted into the air so that its height...
- physics - a hot-air balloon having initial velocity vi as it ascends. Then, a ...
- interoduction of aeronautical engineering - Others say that the balloon was 23 ...
- Physics - After rubbing a balloon against someone's hair, a balloon has ...
- physics - A helium balloon has a mass of 0.022 kg, which includes both the ...
- math - A hot air balloon was at a height of 60 feet above the ground when it ...
- physical science - A hot air balloon is rising upwards at a constant velocity of...
- Math/calculus - a toy rocket is shot into the air at the top of a building so ...
- Math - the function is h(t)= -4.9t^2+2t+45 (t represents time in seconds and h ...