Posted by Josh on Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 1:24pm.
This is a poem by Alice Walker and a question at the end but I can't figure out the question.
Poem title: "Good Night, Willie Lee, I'll see you in the morning."
Looking down into my father's
for the last time
my mother said without
tears, without smiles
but with civility
"Good night, Willie, Lee I'll see you
in the morning."
And it was then I knew that the healing
of all our wounds
that permits a promise
of our return
at the end
Question: Consider the death in "Good Night, Willie Lee, I'll see you in the morning." Is any unfinished business here? Explain
Poetry (9th grade) - GuruBlue, Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 2:06pm
"unfinished business" means things that weren't said that needed to be said. Things that weren't done that needed to have been done. After someone dies we will never be able to do those things...so they will always be "unfinished". What do you think the mother might not have said or done?
Poetry (9th grade) - drwls, Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 2:08pm
I see strong religious overtones in this poem. (It reminds me of the endgin of the movie (and book) "A Man Called Peter" by Catherine Marshall which is discussed here by a reviewer:
The part about "healing of wounds", forgiveness and "return at the end" also seem to have a Christian theme.
I don't see much about unfinished business, other than the power of forgiveness, in the poem.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - Read the poem Remember ? by Alice Walker and answer the questions. -&...
- poetry - Poem. DayBreak Q.1 Who does the wind address to? Q2. "The night is gone...
- poetry - can someone please give me good links where i can find poetry to read. ...
- English - CHECK PLEASE?! Part 1: Poem Structure "Annbel lee" by edgar allen poe ...
- English - Part 1: Poem Structure "Annbel lee" by edgar allen poe Check PLEASE...
- Poetry - Without knowing the context of of the poem, does this poem title stand ...
- English 10-Check/Help - Part 1: Poem Structure Check my following answers below...
- English - Another question regarding the poem Annabel Lee. Can you check my ...
- English - For the poem, "Remember?" by Alice Walker, What is poem's message?
- english - I need help with this question about annabel lee. Identify literary ...