Posted by lyne on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 11:01pm.
Ca + Br2 --> CaBr2
its synthesis and the reason the reaction happens is stable electron configuration but i dont understand why.
chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 10:06pm
Synthesis because it's two elements combining to form a single product. Stable electron configuration because
Ca has two electrons as the metal (solid). It wants to give those two electrons up and if it does, then the last shell has 8 electrons in it (it is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 as the metal. Losing the 2 4s electrons leaves it with 8 in the 3rd shell.) Bromine, as the element, has 7 electrons in its outside shell. It wants to gain 1 electron to make 8. So 1 Ca atom combines with 2 Br atoms, giving 1 electron to each Br, to make CaBr2. The Ca is now a +2 ion and the 2 Br atoms are Br^- ion. This is a typical ionic bond.
chemistry - lyne, Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 10:09pm
okay but doesnt this happen in a lot of the synthesis ones then?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 11:07pm
2Na + Cl2 ==> 2NaCl
Ca + Cl2 ==> CaCl2
2Mg + O2 ==> 2MgO
H2 + Cl2 ==> 2HCl (BUT this one shares electrons so that H has two and Cl has 8). HCl gas is a covalent compound and not ionic. Actually, its a polar covalent compound.
- chemistry - lyne, Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 11:15pm
oh okay i get it!!
2Cs (s) + NiSO4 (aq) --> Cs2SO4 + Ni
is activity series
i understand the equation but not how it is activity series
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 11:35pm
Single replacement reaction. Cs is above Ni in the activity series; therefore, Cs replaces Ni^+2 to form Cs2SO4 + Ni(s). Any other metal above Ni in the activity series would have the same reaction. Any metal below Ni (Cu, Ag, etc) would not replace Ni and there would be no reaction.
- chemistry - lyne, Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 11:38pm
thanks sooo much i totally get it now wow thanks again :)
Answer this Question
- chemistry - Ca + Br2 --> CaBr2 its synthesis and the reason the reaction ...
- chemistry - Ca(s) + Br2(l) --> CaBr2 is synthesis my teacher also said that ...
- Chemistry-help - How does a "chemical for synthesis" compare with the same ...
- CHEMISTRY - 1. For the ion Fe3+ what is the electron configuration and electron ...
- Chemistry-electron configuration CONFUSED!! - I need help with electron ...
- Chemistry - Recognize each of the following reactions as synthesis, ...
- Chemistry - 0.05 L of chlorine gas is bubbled through 0.5 L of 2 M sodium ...
- Chemistry - what is the electron arrangement and electron configuration of Fe3...
- Chemistry-Enthalpies of formation - "Synthesis gas" is a mixture of carbon ...
- Chemistry - can anybody think of a reaction that involves benzyl acetate? ...