Posted by decker on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 10:00am.
bus holds 66 people. Starts out empty. Picks up 1 person at the 1st station. 2nd person at the 2nd station 3rd person at the 3rd station and so on. No one gets off. After how many stations will fill up the bus Show your work- explain your thinking?
- question - bobpursley, Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 10:06am
Wouldn't the last person get on at the 66th station?
- question - Reiny, Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 10:15am
the way you worded the question it simply becomes
1+1+1+1+... = 66
clearly 66 ones are needed, so after 66 stations the bus is full
if you meant 1st station one person gets one, on the 2nd station two people get on, on the third 3 people get on, etc
then it becomes a sequence/series type of question and you would have
1+2+3+4+... = 66
d=1 and n is unknown but S(n) = 66
S(n) = n/2[2a + d(n-1)]
66 = n/2[2 + 1(n-1)]
132 = n[1+n]
n^2 + n - 132 = 0
(n+12)(n-11) = 0
n = -12 or n = 11
we need the positive integer solution which is 11
test: S(11) = 11/2[2 + 10] = 66
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - In the book Dr. Dolittle is it written in 1st person, 2nd person, or ...
- physics - A train starts from station A at 1pm and reaches station B at 3 pm, ...
- psych - Given the following problem: Pretend that you are a bus driver. You ...
- algebra help please - A bus leaves a station at 1p.m. traveling west at an ...
- physics - A non stop bus goes from one station to another at a speed of 54 km/h...
- science - A person's body is thronw outward as a car rounds a curve on the ...
- math - 6 runners run in a 500 yard dash. Prizes are awarded for 1st, 2nd, and ...
- physics - An automobile moving at a constant velocity of 15 m/s passes a ...
- Physics - A team is chosen to design an orbiting space station that is shaped ...
- math - Two friends decide to cycle to a picnic spot the first person cycles 5 ...