Posted by syd on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 10:41pm.
a 21-speed bike has varying top speeds dependent on the gear it's in. the bike's tire diameter is 26 inches. the bike can pedal at a maximum of 130 revolutions per minute. the front chain wheel has sprokets of 24, 32, and 40 teeth. the rear cassette sprokets have 28, 24, 21, 18, 16, 14, 12 teeth. the bike's gears are labeled 1-21. gears 1-7 associated with the smallest front chain wheel's sproket. clearly communicate the top speed (in miles per hour) in each gear.
precalc - Reiny, Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 11:04pm
I will do one of the combinations for you
front: 40 teeth
back wheel: 12 teeth
(this will be the gear that can produce the highest speed)
for each turn of the front sprocket the back wheel will turn 40/12 or 10/3 or 3 1/3 times
each revolution of the back wheel covers
2(26)pi inches or 163.3628 inches
so at 130 rpm of the front sprocket, the back will will cover
= 1.117275 miles/min (I divided by 5280*12)
~= 67 mph (I multiplied by 60)
you do the rest,
can you see the only part that would change ???
precalc - drwls, Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 10:41am
I think Reiny used the rire diameter for the radius, so the speed is two tiomes too high.
This question was posted and answered previously
precalc - drwls, Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 10:44am
See your other post at http://www.jiskha.com/display.cgi?id=1232509956
zubdce jlek - zubdce jlek, Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 5:50pm
mfyelko sgpcyq earwxfs gaexz eqklximt okfudm zndb
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- precalc - a 21-speed bike has varying top speeds dependent on the gear it's in. ...
- Trig - Jane has a bike with a 22-inch rear wheel. The wheel sprocket is 3 inches...
- physics - A bicycle has wheels 67.3 cm in diameter and pedal cranks 17.5 cm long...
- math - Your bike tire has a radius of 14 inches. If you travel a distance of 56 ...
- math - your bike tire has a radius of 14 inches. If your tire makes 100 ...
- physics-distance - Here's a stationary bike. If you pedal such that the front ...
- physics and bicycles - I have aq uick question about bicycles relating to ...
- Math - The wheel on Kirk's bike has a diameter of 27 inches. How far does the ...
- Trigonometry - Suppose that Lance Armstrong1 is using a 180 mm chain ring and ...
- Math - Jerrod's bike has a tire diameter of 26 inches. How far will the bike ...