Posted by Juliee on Friday, January 16, 2009 at 6:32pm.
Based on the number of atoms per unit cell and the mass of the atom, the mass of the unit cell can be calculated. The density of the unit cell and the material as a whole can be determined from the mass and the volume of the unit cell as.
The usual units of density are grams per cubic centimeter or .
Nickel, , has a face-centered cubic structure (Part A figure) with an edge length of 352 . What is the density of this metal? Use the periodic table as needed.
Express your answer numerically in grams per cubic centimeter.
- Chem - DrBob222, Friday, January 16, 2009 at 7:21pm
I need to know two things.
1. 352 what? meters, cm, pm?
2. What do you know about this problem? How much can you do and what don't you understand.
- Chem - Juliee, Friday, January 16, 2009 at 7:24pm
i guess we have to multipy by 10^-12
thn i don't knw abt mass
since i don't even knw the units too hw to cont
- Chem - DrBob222, Friday, January 16, 2009 at 7:48pm
density = mass/volume.
First, calculate volume.
You know the edge length is 352 pm. Convert that to cm (since the problem wants the density in g/cc), then length^3 = volume (in cubic centimeters).
Now for mass.
A face centered cubic unit cell contains 4 particles so the mass of the unit cell contents is the mass of the Ni atom.
4*atomic mass Ni/6.022 x 10^23 = ?? grams of one unit cell.
Density, then, is ??grams/volume in cc.
Post your work if you get stuck.
- Chem - DI, Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 7:14am
In this case, the answer is 8.94 g/cm^3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - 1)The element nickel has ccp packing with a face-centered cubic unit...
- CHEM**** - Initial info: The atoms of crystalline solid pack together into a ...
- chemistry - This problem is from my chemistry book and I am having a little ...
- math - what is the number of each atom in the unit cell of a BCC cystalline ...
- Chemistry - The density of gold is 1.93E4 kg/m3 and the cell volume is 6.78E-26 ...
- chemistry - The density of platinum is 21500 kg/m3 and the cell volume is 6.04 x...
- CHEM - Info: The atoms of crystalline solid pack together into a three-...
- Chemistry - Boron Phosphide, BP, is a semiconductor, and a hard, abrasion ...
- Chemistry - Crystal of Sodium form Cubic unit cell with edge length 430pm.Find ...
- Science: Chemistry - 1. The element gold, Au, has a face-centered cubic ...