Posted by Betty on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 11:50pm.
Please help! y=2x
I need to find the inverse, and I am wonderingif the inverse is x= 2y or f-1 = x/2????
- algebra 2 - Chopsticks, Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 12:38am
if u have the calculator isnt the inverse buttom -1
- algebra 2 - Reiny, Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 9:09am
to find the inverse of a function takes 2 steps
1. interchange the x and y variables
so y = 2x becomes x = 2y
2. Solve this new equation for y
2y = x
y = x/2
so you are correct.
for linear function of the type f(x) = mx + b
it is easy to form the inverse mentally by just "reversing" the steps and operations.
e.g. y = 3x -5
the inverse would be y = (x+5)/3
for the first, after picking any x,
we multiplied by 3 then subtracted 5
for the second, after picking any x,
we added 5 and then divided by 3
notice that not only did we perform the inverse operations, but we also performed those inverse operations in reverse order.
Answer this Question
- Advanced Algebra - What is the inverse of each of the functions defined by the ...
- Algebra - what is the inverse of the linear parent function? How would you graph...
- inverse - find f^-1 (x). (this is asking me to find the inverse) f(x) = -(x-2)^2...
- algebra 2 - for each function, find an equasion for the inverse. then use ...
- algebra - 1 (a) A function passes through the points (0, -5), (1, 0), (2, 7). ...
- Math - Find inverse of f if f(x)= x^2-4x+3, (for x is smaller than and equal to ...
- College Algebra - Find the inverse of the function below. Graph the function ...
- Algebra 2 - formula for converting celcius to fahrenheit: F=9/5C+32 a) what is ...
- Pre-caluclus - I do not know how to solve for y to get the inverse of this ...
- calculus - f(x)=sqrt(x-2) what is the inverse of f? I got inverse f(x)= x^2+2 ...