Posted by brianna on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 7:09pm.
Jermaine had dinner at his favorite restaurant. It the sales tax rate is 4% & the sales tax on the meal was $1.25, what was the total cost of the meal, including sales tax and a 15% tip
- math (ugh) - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 7:24pm
0.04x = 1.25
x = 1.25/0.04
x = 31.25
31.25 * 1.15 = ??
- math (ugh) - brianna, Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 7:47pm
where did you get the 1.15, do u mean 1.25?
- math (ugh) - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 8:03pm
1.15 is the amount of the tip plus the meal.
You could also do it this way.
31.25 * 0.15 = 4.69
31.25 + 4.69 = ?
- math (ugh) - math (whoopie!!!), Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 8:09pm
TOTAL = MEAL + TIP
MEAL = TAX/RATE = $1.25/0.04 = $31.25
TIP = MEAL*TIP PERCENTAGE = $31.25*0.15 = $4.69
TOTAL = MEAL + TIP = $31.25 + $4.69 = $35.94
(or, instead of adding the tip to the meal, you could multiply the meal by 1.15, which is like multiplying the meal by 0.15 and then adding that to the meal to get the tip + meal)
- math (ugh) - ms.sue, Monday, May 12, 2014 at 10:04pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Hannah had dinner at her favorite restaurant. If the sales rate is 4% and...
- math - An item costs c dollars and 6% sales tax is charged. The total cost ...
- Math - please check my answer thanks :) The sales tax is 7% The purchase ...
- Math - Midtown Antiques collects 4% sales tax on all sales. If total sales ...
- math (sales tax) - Jill bought supplies at a hardware store that cost $41.75. If...
- math - Sam brought a stereo or a total of $ 676.24 including state saes tax. the...
- math - A group of friends went to lunch. The bill, before sales tax and tip, was...
- programming - a sales report. Each record in the file contains a customer's ...
- Computer Science - Design a program that will ask the user to enter the amount ...
- Math - Hi, I am doing my summer assignment and I do not understand a problem. ...