Posted by Dawn on Monday, January 12, 2009 at 7:29pm.
Is the United Kindom just the united kingdom, or is it made countries like England?
I know that sounds stupid...but can somebody help me please?
- Geography - Ms. Sue, Monday, January 12, 2009 at 7:44pm
No, this is not a stupid question at all. The U.K. is confusing.
The official name of this country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. On the island of Britain are England, Wales, and Scotland. Northern Ireland is in the northeastern corner of the island of Ireland.
Although we often refer to Scotland and England as countries, they are actually more like the states of the U.S. than internationally recognized nations. The confusion comes because for most of the last 1,000 years or so, they were separate countries. Finally in 1801 it united under the current name of the United Kingdom.
For more information, check this article.
- Geography - Dawn, Monday, January 12, 2009 at 8:05pm
OHHH okay :P thanks...I think I got it now :)
- Geography - Ms. Sue, Monday, January 12, 2009 at 8:09pm
You're very welcome.
- Geography - bobpursley, Monday, January 12, 2009 at 8:13pm
It is more confusing if you look up Britian.
We are doing similar in the West, we say United States (meaning contential US), United States (including HI and AK), America all meaning the same thing, and of course we know that it is not.
- Geography - Madeline, Monday, January 12, 2009 at 10:55pm
what does irrigation and desalinating water?
- paktf fsebw - paktf fsebw, Friday, February 6, 2009 at 11:44am
meyz ldiqgkcpe ricg ysxqu bhewm gfpvul prcesn
Answer this Question
- Economics - (Absolute and Comparative Advantage) You have been given the ...
- econ (economyst please help) - I got this long question i am not sure how to do...
- college math - given the bar graph below create a grouped frequency distribution...
- History - I live in The United Kingdom. And we do not do grades we do Year. I am...
- Geography (Ms. Sue) - Where are each of these countries (Germany, France, Italy...
- geog - how might the climatic changes predicted to result from global warming ...
- History - The Titanic was a ship that sailed between which 2 countries? a....
- stat - Weinberger and Spotts compare the use of humor in television ads in the ...
- MAth - Country Currency Rate U.S $ 1.0 Austria Schilling 11.465 Finland Markka 4...
- geography - who was once controlled by the united kingdom?