Posted by phil on Monday, January 12, 2009 at 5:37pm.
Hi. I need more help with this question.
On the archipelago of the Galapagos Islands, which most geologists believe to be of volcanic origin without ever having had any land connection with the west coast of South America, Darwin discovered a group of small finches. These birds have since been classified into more than a dozen species. These birds have differences, particu-larly in their adaptations for food-getting. It is believed that all these species are descendants of a single species which migrated from the mainland. On the mainland there has never been more than a single species even though the rate of mutations
is thought to be the same in both locations.
Explain how each of the following could have played a role in the development of the
many species of Galapagos finches:
b. genetic drift
c. geographic isolation
d. unoccupied ecologic niche
e. Explain why the mainland species has not differentiated into more than one species.
thank you so much for all your help. I really really appreciate it. I have to write a lot so any information for these would be extremely helpful
- Biology essay - assistance needed - Writeacher, Monday, January 12, 2009 at 5:42pm
"bio" = Biology (not biography!)
- bio essay - Ms. Sue, Monday, January 12, 2009 at 5:44pm
I arleady explained how an unoccupied ecologic niche can be filled.
This definition of polyploidy should help you.
If you post your other answers, we'll be glad to comment on them.
- bio essay - phil, Monday, January 12, 2009 at 6:02pm
i need help explaining the geographic isolation part
- bio essay - Writeacher, Monday, January 12, 2009 at 6:34pm
"the Galapagos Islands, which most geologists believe to be of volcanic origin without ever having had any land connection with the west coast of South America,"
Isn't that geographic isolation??
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- bio - On the archipelago of the Galapagos Islands, which most geologists believe...
- science - use the image below to think about how continental drift may have ...
- Science - According to the continental drift theory, which of the following land...
- Science - 2. According to the continental drift theory, which of the following ...
- Science - Waste produced by people in New York State has been dumped into the ...
- bio - Hi. i know I already posted this but I don't understand how polyploidy ...
- Geography (Ms. Sue) - 1). Where are most of the high-land climate zones located...
- U.S. History - What can you infer about what Lewis and Clark saw as they moved ...
- BIO - What will be lost if intrusion goes unchecked in the Galapagos Islands?
- Geography - What country do the Galapogos islands belong to? This site has your ...