Posted by Sean on Thursday, January 8, 2009 at 9:31pm.
300 exercise books are arranged into 3 piles. The first pile has 10 more books than the second pile.
The number of books in the second pile is twice the number of books in the third pile. How many books are there in the third pile?
- 4th Grade Math - Mrs. B., Friday, January 9, 2009 at 12:38am
first look at what you know:
1) the TOTAL number of books IS 300
this tells you ADD
the answer will be 300
2) there are 3 piles
this tells you you will add
What do you NOT know?
the number of books in the
use the letter "x" for this
now try to put your problem together
pile 1 pile 2 pile 3
+ + x = 300
see if you can figure it out now.
- 4th Grade Math - Jean, Monday, February 16, 2009 at 5:12am
If I were you, I'd put it like this:
300 divided into 3. That would be 100.
It says 1st pile has more books than 2nd pile. 10 books, right? Ok.
100 - 10 = 90, right?
So, 1st pile has 110 books.
The 2nd pile NOW has 90 books.
The third pile is untouched. It has 100 books.
Now multiply 100 times 2. You'll get 200.
The 2nd pile has 290 books.
While the 3rd pile has 100.
o_O <<< Uh, get what I mean?
And if I'm missing something big here, please correct me. (Sorry, I can't tell my email address, it isn't allowed.) Thanks.
I think the 1st and 2nd pile are just "confusers". Well, can't really tell what's the answer. I ain't no expert. =)
Tip: Maybe you have to solve it on your own. Or, follow the 1st response.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- 4th Grade Math Correction - PLEASE HELP.I am sorry. I posted the question wrong ...
- MATH HELP!!!! - 3000 exercise books are arranged in 3 piles.the first pile has ...
- math - 3000 exercise books are arranged in 3 piles.The first pile has 10 more ...
- math - A pile of 108 identical books has a mass of 30 kg. Find (a)the mass of ...
- Math - A pile of 108 identical books has a mass of 30 kg. Find (a)the mass of ...
- physics - a pile drive has a 413 kg block that is lifted 1.4m and then dropped ...
- Math - Need help on how to solve this problem.. Five cards are chosen from a ...
- Math 6th grade - A group of 45 tokens is arranged into three piles such that ...
- maths - 16 similar writing pads and 24 similar jotter books are stacked in a ...
- math - MEghan had 36 books in her locker. Some were library books, text books ...