Posted by pam on Thursday, January 8, 2009 at 4:12am.
A 384 square meter plot of land is to be enclosed by a fence and divided into equal parts by a fence parallel to one pair of sides. What dimensions of the outer rectangle will minimize the amount of force used?
calculus - drwls, Thursday, January 8, 2009 at 5:57am
Do you mean to minimize the amount of FENCE used? I don't see what force has to do with it. It also seeme to me that, by making the outer rectangle very narrow, the amount of fence required to divide it in half can be reduced to zero.
calculus - Damon, Thursday, January 8, 2009 at 6:00am
I assume you mean "fence" used.
Three cross fences of length w
area = w L = 384
so w = 384/L
total fence length= t = 3w + 2 L
t = 3*384/L + 2 L
t = 1152/L + 2 L
for min dt/dL = 0
dt/dL = 0 = -1152/L^2 + 2
2 L^2 = 1152
L^2 = 576
L = 24
then w = 16
calculus - drwls, Thursday, January 8, 2009 at 6:16am
I misread the problem, and forgot that the fence had to also enclose the outer perimter, which was clearly stated.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus (optimization) - a rectangular study area is to be enclosed by a fence ...
- Math - A rectangular study area is to be enclosed by a fence and divided into ...
- shortest fence - this is my last question from applications of derivatives! A ...
- math - i am having serious optimization problems. i don't get it!!! plz help. a ...
- calculus - a farmer wishes to fence off a rectangular plot of land, using an ...
- AP Calculus AB - The fence around Wayne Manor (a rectangular plot of land) is ...
- Calculus 1 - A rectangular field is enclosed by a fence and separated into two ...
- Calculus 1 optimization - A farmer wants to fence an area of 6 million square ...
- College alegbra - A rancher wants to create a fence enclosing 1500 m2 of land. ...
- Calculus - A rectangular field is to be enclosed by a fence and divided into ...