Posted by Jake on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:46pm.
Stephen is walking from his house to his friend Sharon's house. When he is 12 blocks away, he looks at his watch. He looks again when he is 8 blocks away and finds that 6 minutes have passed. Write 2 ordered pairs for these data in the form (time, blocks).
Write a linear equation for these 2 points.
What is the total amount of time it takes Stephen to reach Sharon's house? Explain please.
- Algebra I - Damon, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:58pm
(time t, blocks d)
(0 , 12)
(6 , 8 )
d is distance from house in blocks
d = m t + b
12 = 0 + b so b = 12
8 = m *6 + 12
-4/6 = m
m = -2/3
d = -(2/3) t + 12
0 = -(2/3) t + 12
t = (3/2) * 12 = 18 minutes
- Algebra I - Reiny, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:59pm
the two ordered pairs from your information are
(0,12) and (6,8)
slope = (12-8)/-6
So Blocks = (-2/3)t + b
12 = 0 = b
b = 12
so the linear equation is
Blocks = (-2/3)Time + 12
when he reaches Sharon's house Blocks = 0
so 0 = (-2/3)time + 12
(2/3)time = 12
time = 18
it will take 18 minutes
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Zach is walking to his best friend's house, which is 5 1/3 blocks away, ...
- math - integers - 2. One Saturday morning, Liza jogged 15 blocks from her house ...
- math - the hardware store is 5 blocks east of john's house. sean lives 3 blocks ...
- Math - My dauther has the following question . She is in 4th Grade. Mr. Wong ...
- math - Mr. Wong left his house and drove north for 5 blocks, then turned right ...
- precal - She doesn't know the exact route to her friends house. She knows that ...
- PHYSCÝS - You ride your bike along a straight line from your house to a store ...
- pysics 1 - You ride your bike along a straight line from your house to a store ...
- English - 1. The shop is two blocks away form this post office. 2. The bakery is...
- math - Jacob walked three blocks to pings house, then five blocks to jamals ...