Posted by Chopsticks on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:28pm.
Using aervage atmoic masses for each of the following elements, calculate the mass, in amu (grams)
A. 635 atoms of hydrogen
---> 1 mole of H = 1.01g = 6.022 x 10^23 atom
635 atom of H 1.01g/6.022 x 10^23 atom
I got 1.06 x 10^-21 amu. I got that answer buying the "E" button on my calculator. Instead of putting 6.022 x 10^23 I just put 6.022E23
But if I use the "^" I get 1.07 x 10^25
Which one is right?
- Chemistry+need help checking work - bobpursley, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:38pm
the one with the E.
- Chemistry+need help checking work - Chopsticks, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:42pm
Ah I also have another question.
I forgot to ask my teacher this, but when I used the "^" on this problem I got the right answer.
Computer the number of atoms of Al of a 10.0g sample
---> moles of Al = 26.981g = 6.022 x 10^23
I ended up with 2.23 x 10^23 as an answer using "^"
I just checked myself by using the "E" and I still got the same answer.
I'm Confuse about that
- Chemistry+need help checking work - DrBob222, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:45pm
1.06 X 10^-21.
The E button is the calculator's way of "x 10^something"; therefore, that answer is the good one. Punching the ^ button, gives you the number raised to some power. The E button raises 10 (not some number punched in) to a power that you add.
- Chemistry+need help checking work - Chopsticks, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:47pm
Wouldn't 8E4 = 8 x 10^4?
- Chemistry+need help checking work - DrBob222, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:51pm
The 2.23 x 10^23 is correct. I just looked at my calculator and I don't have a ^ so scratch my explanation for that part. I have a yx on mine and I thought that's what you were referring to.
- Chemistry+need help checking work - Chopsticks, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:54pm
No, I think I'll just stick with the "E" for these kind of problems.
- Chemistry+need help checking work - DrBob222, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 7:59pm
Right. Stick with E. You KNOW that one is correct.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - On Earth, naturally occurring calcium metal contains 6 isotopes: Ca-...
- chemistry - For the following fusion reaction, Calculate change in energy per ...
- science(conversion factors) - Imagine a particle of dust that masses 25.48ug. ...
- Chemistry (Help) - Completion (Help) To find the mass of a mole of a compound, ...
- Chemistry again - Chromium is ametal that is added to steel to improve its ...
- chem - mass of element = 311.1269 amu what is mass of 1.36 moles of these atoms ...
- physical science - calculate the molar mass ofthe substance. divide it by ...
- Chemistry - A mixture containing 11.9 g of calcium fluoride and 10.3 g of ...
- Chemistry - Thank you for your help. I did want to clarify why you are only ...
- Chemistry - 1)The chemical formula for aspirin is C9H8O4. What is the mass of 0....