Posted by mel on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 9:50pm.
"most men lead lives of silent "
what does that quotes mean to you write 5-7 sentences
english - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 9:53pm
Is the entire quote -- "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation"?
english - mel, Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 9:54pm
i think so can u please helpp!
english - bobpursley, Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 9:56pm
I like my version: Most married men live lives of silence.
english - Chopsticks, Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 9:58pm
english - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 10:03pm
Yes -- now that you posted the complete quote. :-)
Although Bobpursley's version is true for many, let's examine the original quote by Henry David Thoreau. He means that most men are so caught up in their routine -- work, chores, socializing, etc., that they don't really see and understand their own lives. They just plod along, doing their duty without really living the examined and true life.
english - SraJMcGin, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 9:35am
Here's another quote somewhat along the same lines as what Thoreau said:
If you keep your nose to the grindstone, what do you get? A short nose!
english - SraJMcGin, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 9:36am
Better advice: "stop and smell the roses." That is why so many companies are stressing "balance" in life. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" so to speak.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Which is the best paraphrase of this excerpt from "On First Looking ...
- English - To Ms. Sue - The teacher wants us to express our answer to this ...
- english - we are reading the scarlet letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. can you ...
- English - 1. He stood silent. 2. He remained quiet. 3. He lay speechless. 4. He ...
- English - 1. This is the house which he lives in. 2. This is the house in which ...
- English (Writeacher) - How should I revise these sentences so that they are not ...
- English - 1. He should not make a noise. 2. He should not make noise. 3. He ...
- English - 1. This is the house where he lives. 2. This is the house in which he ...
- English - When previewing the following lines from Sonnet 18, how many sentences...
- English - I chose the five sentences I was most doubtful about. I really hope ...