Posted by ???E on Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 11:37pm.
A square and a rectangle have the same perimeter. The length of the rectangle is 4cm less than twice the side of the square, and the width of the rectangle is 6 cm than the side of the square. find the perimeter of each figure
- algebra - Reiny, Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 11:51pm
<<...the width of the rectangle is 6 cm than the side of the square>
6 cm more or 6 cm less
I am going to assume it is "less"
so we would have
(2x-4)(x-6) = x^2
Solve for x and take it from there
if it is "more" then
(2x-4)(x+6) = x^2 and solve
- algebra - DrBob222, Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 11:53pm
Check my thinking on this.
S = side of the square.
L= length of rectangle.
W = width of rectangle.
4S = perimeter of square
2L + 2W = perimeter of rectangle.
perimeter is the same; therefore,
4S = 2L + 2W
2S = L + 4
S = W+6
Solve for S, L, W and calculate perimeter. I tried this and have S = 10, L = 16
W = 4
All of the units are cm.
Perimeter is 40 cm.
- algebra - ???E, Thursday, January 1, 2009 at 11:57pm
- algebra - Reiny, Friday, January 2, 2009 at 12:03am
scrap my solution, I misread the question.
go with DrBob's method.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - The length of a rectangle is three times the length of a side of a square...
- Math - The length and width of a rectangle are (x+4)cm and xcm respectively. ...
- Algebra - The side of a square equals the length of a rectangle. The width of ...
- Geometry - A rectangle has the same perimeter as a square. If the area of the ...
- Math - The length and width of a rectangle are (x+4) cm and x cm respectively. ...
- basic geometry - A rectangle has width the same asa a side of a square whose ...
- math - the length of a rectangle is 5cm ...the area of a rectangle is the same ...
- Math - The length of a rectangle is 1 more than the side of a square and the ...
- math - A square and a rectangle have equal areas. The length of the rectangle is...
- basic geometric - 10. a rectangle has width the same as a side of a square whose...