Posted by ???E on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 10:11pm.
in a week Mike ran 8km farther than Bill, while Pete ran 1 km less than 3 times as far as Bill.If pete ran 15 km farther than Mike, how many kilometers did Bill run?
- algebra - bobpursley, Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 10:19pm
put them in standard form..
Subtract the last from the middle..
Now subtract the first equation.
check me. If correct, then finish up the others.
- algebra - ehelptutor, Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 10:21pm
In a week Mike ran 8 km farther than Bill, while Pete ran 1 km less than 3 times as far as Bill.
If Pete ran 15 km farther than Mike, how many kilometers did Bill run?
Let m be how far Mike ran in km.
Let b be how far Bill ran in km.
Let p be how far Pete ran in km.
The given information is (1), (2), and (3).
(1) m = 8+b
(2) p = 3b – 1
(3) p = 15+m Use (1) to replace m in (3)
(4) p = 15+8+b Use (2) to replace p in (4)
(5) 3b – 1 = 15+8+b Subtract b from both sides. Add 1 to both sides.
(6) 2b = 24 Divide both sides by 2
(7) b = 12
Bill ran 12 km.
- algebra - ???E, Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 10:32pm
Answer this Question
- algebra - Mike said, last week I ran 15 miles farther than Bill. Pete said Last ...
- PSAT - Math - Hello, I am reviewing my psat and looking at the questions I got ...
- math - company A:1/5 company B:4/25 company C:2/5 company D:3/20 BILL AND ANDY ...
- math - Four runners ran the relay, Bill ran his lap in 22.738 seconds, Troy ran ...
- MATH - DAN,DEBBIE,ED AND GENE WERE TRAINING FOR CROSS-COUNTRY RACING. ED RAN ...
- math - Quest 1: Tammy ran three times last week. Here are the distances she ran...
- math - pete had 12 peanuts. he gave bill 1/3. how many does bill have
- English - 1. The earl bird catches the worm. 2. Early birds catch the worms. (...
- Math - *not multiple choice* u^-3 = 1/125 y - 1 = 4y - 2/3 * not sure how to do ...
- math - Jan Maya and Sara ran a total of 64 miles. two ran the same and one ran 8...