Posted by Anonymous on Monday, December 29, 2008 at 1:33pm.
Which equation describes a hyperbola?
A. 2x^2 + 2x + 2y^2 - 6y - 11 = 0
B. -6x^2 + 2x - 12y^2 - 11y = 11
C. -6y^2 + 2x - 11y = -5
D. 4y^2 + 2y - 10x^2 + 2x - 6 = 0
- Math - Reiny, Monday, December 29, 2008 at 1:54pm
You should recognize certain patterns to the conic section equations.
if the signs of the x^2 and y^2 terms are opposite , then you have a hyperbola,
e.g. (your example)
If their signs are the same and their coefficients are also the same, you have a circle.
e.g. 6x^2 + 9x + 6y^2 - 4y = 123
If the signs are the same, but their coefficients are different, you have and ellipse
e.g. 6x^2 + 9x + 4y^2 - 4y = 123
if one of the square terms, either the x or the y, are missing, you have a parabola
4x^2 + 8y = 77
if both square terms are missing you have straight line.
Answer this Question
- Math: Intersections of 3 Planes - For what value of "k" will the following set ...
- Math - Which of the following expressions is the simplified form of 3y+8y-4+7-...
- math - fator out the greatest common factor: 11y-22 11y-22 = 11y - 2*11 = 11*...
- college math - ny answer is 6x - 12y - 5 12x 4 - 11y -6x - 9 -4
- algebra - I need help with simplifying (-9.5x)(-11Y) and it is not 104.5XY or ...
- math - what is the solution sets of the following a) 2x^2-7x-5 b) 5y^2-16y+3 c) ...
- math - what is the solution sets of the following a) 2x^-7x-5 b)5y^-16y+3 c)10x...
- math help me pls - 1. Find the like terms in the expression y + 1.2y + 1.2z. (1 ...
- Algebra 2 - Which matrix equation is equivalent to 3x+2y-5z=20 5x-10y+8z=17 -8+...
- Math - 2x+11y=9 4x-8y=0 how do I solve this system of equations?