Posted by Aaron on Friday, December 19, 2008 at 3:53pm.
Let f be the function given by f(t) = 2ðt + sin(2ðt)
a) Find the value of t in the open interval (0,20 for which the line tangent at (t, f(t)) is parallel to the line through (0,0) and (2,4ð)
b) Suppose the given function describes the position of a particle on the x-axis for time (0,2). What is the average velocity of the particle over that interval?
c) Determine the velocity and acceleration of the particle at t=1. Is the object speeding up or slowing down?
- Check your typing...Calculus - Reiny, Friday, December 19, 2008 at 4:29pm
I can't make out your funny symbol in 2ðt
- Calculus - Aaron, Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 11:26am
Oh sorry, that was supposed to be pi
- Calculus - Damon, Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 2:55pm
f(t) = 2 pi t + sin 2 pi t
line through (0,0) and (2 , 4 pi) has slope 4 pi/2 = 2 pi
Where does our function have slope = 2 pi?
df/dt = 2 pi + 2 pi cos 2 pi t
so when is df/dt = 2 pi?
2 pi = 2 pi + 2 pi cos 2 pi t
cos 2 pi t = 0
2 pi t = pi/2 , 3 pi/2 , 5 pi/2 , 7 pi/2 etc
t = 1/4 , 3/4 , 5/4, 7/4 , ......
are you sure you mean 20 and not 2?
f(2) = 2 pi*2 + sin 4 pi = 4 pi +0 = 4 pi
f(0) = 0 + 0 = 0
F(2) - F(0) = 4 pi
4 pi/2 = 2 pi = distance / time = av speed.
v = df/dt = 2 pi + 2 pi cos 2 pi t
a = d^2f/dt^2 = -4 pi^2 sin 4 pi t
at t = 1
v = 2 pi + 2 pi = 4 pi
a = 0 so it is not speeding up or slowing down.
- Calculus - Anonymous, Tuesday, December 23, 2008 at 5:35pm
Oh, for part A I mean 2, sorry about that.
Thanks much for the help!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - let f(t) = 2*pi*t + sin(2*pi*t) a) find value of t in open interval (...
- calculus - 5. Let f be the function given by f(x) = x3- 7x + 6. a. Find the ...
- Math (Calculus) (mean value theorem emergency) - Consider the graph of the ...
- calculus - Find an equation of the line that is tangent to the graph f and ...
- Math- Calculus - Find an equation of the line that is tangent to the graph of f ...
- Calculus - 1. On what interval is the function f(x)=x^3-4x^2+5x concave upward? ...
- Calculus - The function g is defined for x>0 with g(1)=2, g'(x)=sin(x+1/x), ...
- Physics - Two displacement waves are added resulting in constructive interfernce...
- Calculus - Graph the function f(x)=x+4/x Graph the secant line that passes ...
- Calculus-math - Find an equation of the line that is tangent tothe graph of f ...