Posted by E.G. on Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 1:57pm.
Sorry to get back to my most recent question. First of all I realized that I had made a typing error in the last sentence. It should have read "SUR" instead of "sure"
I had been asked to translate
"I have five fingers on one hand" but I was not certain about which preposition to use. I tried a translating site but it used a totally different meaning for
"on one hand". The translation I got was: "J'ai cinq doigts d'une part"
So, I submitted a different version, namely: "I have five fingers on each hand." The translation came back as:
"J'ai cinq doigts SUR une main."
I wasn't sure about the use of "sur" so I put the question into German and had that translated into French. It came back as: "J'ai cinq doigts à une main."
Now I was wondering if "à" or "sur" is correct.
Also, in the word "cinq" is the "q" pronounced?
Sorry to bother you with this question again.
Thank you for all your help!!!
- FRENCH - addendum - SraJMcGin, Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 5:47pm
Yes on the "q" in cinq. In French I we used a little story to teach the first 5 numbers in French. It was about a mother cat and her 2 kittens out in a boat. A big wave came, the boat tipped over and "un, deux, trois, quatre cinq." (cat = get it?)
"à la main" usually means "by hand" as in "it was fabricated by hand." "on each hand" = "de chaque côté." The best bet here for "5 fingers on each hand" would be "sur la main." (OR "une")
"d'une part" = on one hand is in something like "On one hand he wants to go but on the other hand he has to work.
Sra (aka Mme)
- FRENCH - addendum - SraJMcGin, Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 5:48pm
P.S. I forgot to mention the "cinq" in the story about the "cats" was "sank." (un, deux, trois, cat sank)
Sra (aka Mme)
- FRENCH - addendum - E.G., Friday, December 19, 2008 at 1:00am
Merci beaucoup et Joyeux Noël à vous aussi.
I also wanted to commend you for taking care of needy animals. I love animals very much!Merci for all your help!!
Answer this Question
- business english - Which of the following would a spell checker catch as an ...
- statistics - If Z is a standard deviation, find the probability that Z lies ...
- grammar - They were talking, though I couldn't hear what they were saying ...
- Math - CLEVELAND MADE 4 TYPING ERROR IN 60 WORDS. WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY THAT ...
- HORRIBLE! - Hello, I took my ACT test today, and I think I epicly failed the ...
- english - sorry i havent really used this site and im not sure how to repost my ...
- English - I realized I made a mistake when talking about plastic bags. I think I...
- Allied Health - Writing Guidelines: Answer every question carefully use proper ...
- English - Could you please check the word choice? Thank you very much. 1) Mary ...
- Last proof read - Sorry for bugging you guys.. But can someone proof read this ...