Posted by joe on Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 12:22am.
this is a probability question...
Suppose you are asked to choose a whole number between 1 and 13 inclusive.
(a) what is the probability that it is odd?...7/13
(b) What is the probability that it is even?...6/13
(c) what is the probability that it is a multiple of 3?...4/13
(d) what i the probability that it is odd or a multiple of 3?.. This is where i am stumped. the book says the answer is 9/13 but i cant find it.
math probability - Reiny, Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 8:29am
the first 3 are correct
the odds are 1,3,5,7,9,11,13
multiples of 3 are 3,6,9,12
now the numbers which are either odd OR a multiple of 3 are 1,3,5,6,7,9,11,12,13
or nine of them
so prob = 9/13
There is a formula which says
Prob(A or B) = Prob(A) + Prob(B) - Prob(A and B)
= 4 + 7 - 2 = 9
notice that the 3 and 9 are in both sets, so if we just add up the count, we counted them twice, so we have to subtract one of the counts.
math probability - gaetan gouninlkpon, Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 6:06pm
P(b and 2)
math probability - dixie, Monday, February 13, 2017 at 4:55pm
help me is suck at math and probability is very hard
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Probability - A loaded die has the property that the probability of throwing an ...
- Math - Choose a natural number between 1 and 100, inclusive. What is the ...
- algebra - Choose a natural number between 1 and 100, inclusive. What is the ...
- Probability - A nickel is flipped and a dime is flipped. 1. What is the ...
- Math - A nickel is flipped and a dime is flipped. 1. What is the probability of ...
- statistics - The below table shows the probabilities generated by rolling one ...
- Statistics - An investor is considering an investment in a start-up company. she...
- probability - please help! 1.) A random digit from 1 to 9 (inclusive) is chosen...
- PROBABILITY MATH HELP!!!!! - A die is rolled. Find the probability of the given ...
- Math - A spinner has numbers 1-16 on it. Probability of 6? 1/16 Probability not ...