Posted by Jin on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 7:53pm.
My son recently had an English test where he was marked incorrectly, but I think he was correct. I just need some verification. The question:
"The whole neighborhood watched him climb in his old pickup and ______ down our street at full speed."
The word to use was the form of "careen" His answer was "careen" but his teacher corrected him and said it should be in the past tense "careened." Who is correct? Thanks for your help
Middle school Engllish - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 7:54pm
I vote for "careen" because it's parallel with "climb." The whole neighborhood is not the subject.
Middle school Engllish - Writeacher, Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 7:55pm
The present tense "careen" is correct; otherwise the sentence would be saying that the "neighborhood watched ... and careened ... " which clearly doesn't make sense.
The word "careen" needs to be parallel to "climb" (present) not "watched" (past).
Middle school Engllish - bobpursley, Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 7:55pm
careen is correct. The neighborhood was watching what was happening in the present.
Middle school Engllish - Anonymous, Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 8:19pm
Thank you for your help! I asked my son to go back to school and let his teacher know that my husband and I agreed with him. He told me his teacher would not listen. Hopefully she will listen to your responses and believe him.
Middle school Engllish - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 8:26pm
You're very welcome.
I suggest that your son politely explain our rationale in supporting "careen." Also note, that the three of us are all retired teachers -- middle school, high school, and college.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - What is different in middle school compared with elementary school? In...
- math help - I need help solving this math problem, please: Problem: Angela's ...
- Math - I need help solving this math problem, please: Problem: Angela's math ...
- English - I have an essay i need to write and the questions i need to answer are...
- English - Thank you very much. Here are some more questions I need you to check...
- 1 Credit for HS - How to earn one credit for high school? Last year when the ...
- 6th grade science - we had this question on a test the measure of the amount of ...
- vocab - Directions: Use the underlined etymology clues to help you choose the ...
- English - 1. We watched TV for two hours. 2. We watched TV at night/ at the shop...
- Psychology - I have listed approaches that I think would be most effective for ...