Posted by Phillip on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 12:15am.
A piece of metal weighs 50.0 N in air, 36.0 N in water, an 41.0 N in an unknown liquid. Find the density of the unknown liquid.
- Physics - Buoyant Force - Damon, Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 3:25am
find volume of metal first
Buoyant force in water = 14 N = weight of water displaced in 1 g gravitational field
mass of water displaced = 14 N/9.8 m/s^2 = 1.43 kg of water displaced
the density of water = 1,000 kg/m^3
volume of metal = 1.43*10^-3 m^3
Buoyant force in unknown = 50 - 41 = 9 N
so mass of unknown displace = 9/9.8 = .918 kg
so the density of unknown = .918kg/1.43*10^-3 = 642 kg/m^3
or 64.2% of the water density
- Physics - Buoyant Force - Phillip, Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 8:59am
I'm confused about the "1 g gravitational field". What's the 1 g referring to and why is it 1 g?
- Physics - Buoyant Force - Damon, Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 10:43am
g is the acceleration of gravity which is about 9.8 m/s^2 on the surface of earth.
Since the weights were given in Newtons, a unit of force, not mass, I used weight in Newtons = mass in kilograms * acceleration in meters / second squared to find the mass in kilograms.
- Physics - Buoyant Force - kriz, Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 12:50pm
where did you got the buoyant force in water?
- Physics - Buoyant Force - Mohammed, Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 5:45pm
It's well known it doesn't need to be given (like the gravitational force)
Answer this Question
- Urgent - Physics - The U-shaped glass tube in the figure below contains two ...
- Chemistry - three separate questions 1. An empty graduated cylinder weighs 82....
- physics - A column of water of height h1 = 70.0 cm supports a column of an ...
- Physics Fluids - When a block of volume 1.00 × 10–3 m3 is hung from a spring ...
- AP CHEMISTRY - The molar mass of an unknown organic liquid (M~100) is determined...
- Chemistry - O.k. I am confused. So here is what I did. Mass of empty flask plus ...
- Physics Fluids - A column of oil of height 70.0 cm supports a column of an ...
- college Chemistry - 1. If 25 grams of Iron (III) hydroxide is dissolved in a ...
- Chemistry - mass of empty flask with stopper = 32.634 g mass of flask with water...
- Chem - a solution containing 100g of unknown liquid and 900g water has a ...