Posted by rakesh on Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 5:42am.
Find a common factor of (527 to the power 379 + 473 to the power 379) and (527 to the power 166 - 473 to the power 166)
- indices - Reiny, Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 8:17am
did you know that for
x^n + y^n, x + y is a factor if n is odd and for
x^n - y^n, x-y is a factor in n is even
e.g. try some small numbers that fit into your calculator for testing
5^7 + 11^7 = 19565296 and
19565296 divides by 16 evenly 1222831 times
13^6 - 5^6 = 4811184 and
4811184 divides by 8 evenly 601398 times
I will use this property
527379 + 473379
= (527+473)(some big number)
= 1000(some big number)
527166 - 473166
= (527-473)(some other big number)
= 54(some other big number)
so the first one divides by 1000, the other by 54,
so a common factor is 2
note it said to find "a common" factor, not the highest common factor.
There may be others
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - find the greatest common factor and simplify your answer. 4v to the 7th ...
- algebra2 plzz help - how do you solve these problems (5x)to the power of a+4(5x)...
- college - let i = the square root of -1 with i to the 1st power =i, i to the 2nd...
- physics - The disk shaped head of a pin is 1.0 mm in diameter. Which of the ...
- math - simplify, 4v to the 7th power y to the 9th power and 16v to the 6th power...
- Algebra - Factor each of following expressions x (4th power) - x (3rd power) - ...
- math - 4v to the 7th power y to the 9th power and 16v to the 6th power x to the ...
- government - what is the ordinance power of the president a. the power to send u...
- government - the power that allows congress to take private property for such ...
- math - find the value of a and b , so that 10x to the power 4 + 17x to the power...