Posted by Michael on Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 12:01am.
I have this graph with the numbers
Year population (thousands)
I need help in analyzing this data so that I can determine the year in which the population will reach 1,000,000 people. how would i make at least two estimates using different regression models.
Thank you so much i would really appreciate it if you could help me
Math question - drwls, Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 1:38am
You could use a least-squares linear fit, quadratic fit, or exponential fit. I'd favor the later. An easy way to do it would be by doing a linear fit of the log of the population.
Year Pop Log Pop
1950 132 2.12
1960 187 2.27
1970 254 2.40
1980 346 2.54
1990 466 2.67
2000 657 2.82
Note that the log(base 10)of the population changes by an average of 0.14 per decade
That is easily extrapolated to:
2010 (912) 2.96
2013 1000 3.00
Math question - vilmer, Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 2:43am
as a Geometric Sequence, r=1.4
C=population you want to find(1 million)
Co=initial population (132 thousands)
r=1.4 so r/100=0.014 ,n is No. years
and then you ll find a value, let's say x
you add x+1950=and get the year
I think it's right..you can work it out and post whether it worked or not.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - These data represent the population of a certain city. Year Population...
- working with data - the table below shows the population of New London County, ...
- Math :) - I need to write a linear function using the following data: Year Life ...
- Calculus - Year 1960 1970 1980 1990 2000 Rate 39 59 64 89 106 of change (million...
- Math - The table below gives the educational attainment of the U.S. population ...
- Modeling Exponential Growth and Decay - Information provided: Whooping Crane ...
- Math - The per capita public debt (in thousands of dollars) of the United States...
- algebra - How do I predict an item's price at a future date (what formula do I ...
- Calc - Year 1940 1950 1960 1970 1980 Rate of change (million people per year) 29...
- Alegebra II - Money_Word_Problems: In 1950, the average price of a car was about...