Posted by JP on Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 11:32pm.
1) Solve for x and check
(5+ Radical 2)/(5-Radical 2)
3)describe the nature of the roots
4) Solve for x and check
Radical (x^2 +4x +44) +3=2x
I got 7 and -5/3 as answers, was not sure though
Math - drwls, Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 11:43pm
2) Use the fact that (a + b)(a - b) = a^2 - b^2
3) Let's say your equation in the format ax^2 + bx + c = 0
In your two cases, a = 1.
Calculate the quantity b^2 - 4ac for each equation. If it is positive there are two real roots. If it is zero there is one. If it is negative, there are two complex roots
Math - Reiny, Friday, December 12, 2008 at 12:10am
1) square both sides
x^2 - 10x = 9i^2
x^2 - 10x = -9
x^2 - 10x +9 = 0
(x-1)(x-9) = 0
x = 1 or x=9
check (since we squared)
LS = √(1-10) = √-9 = 3i = RS
LS = √(81-90) = √-9 = 3i = RS
so x = 1 or x=9
Math - Reiny, Friday, December 12, 2008 at 12:15am
4) since you clearly squared both sides to solve, each answer you obtained has to be verified in the original equation
if x=7 it works
if x= -5/3 it does not work
so x = 7 is the only solution
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math,correction - Simplify by combining like terms. Problem #32 radical (63) - 2...
- math , help,algebra - i am up to this point in my problem but i don't know what ...
- math,correction - Can somoene helpme plz... Simplify radical 7 * radical 14 ...
- precalculus - hello there! i wanted to check my answer. is: 2(x-y) / (radical x...
- trigonometry - Simplify and write in standard form. 1.) (radical 3 + i radical ...
- math - in the question 6radical x +3 radical y -2radical y +3 radical x -radical...
- Algebra - I'm adding 2(radical 50) + 12 (radical 8). I began by breaking the ...
- Math - Symplify (radical x/8) is the answer x (radical 2)/4 i put it to be (x/2...
- math,correction - problem #50 Perform the indicated division. Rationalize the ...
- math,correction,plz - Perform the indicated division. Rationalize the ...