Posted by lisa on Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 8:43pm.
write the slop - intercept form of the equation wiht the given slope and intercept
i knwo how to do it with y-int
but how doyou do it with x- int?
math - DanH, Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 9:19pm
y = mx + b, and you're right, we do not know the y-intercept here.
so, y = (2/5)x + b.
They tell us the X-intercept is 4.5. How does this help us? The x-intercept is where it crosses the x-axis. At that point, y = 0. So, the line crosses the point (4.5,0).
So, now we substitute in 0 for y and 4.5 for x:
0 = (2/5)(4.5) + b.
We can solve for b, and we get
So, we now have our y-intercept, and use y = mx + b.
Does this make sense??
math - lisa, Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 9:21pm
thank you =D
math - DanH, Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 9:25pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Write each equation in slope-intercept form. Underline the slope and ...
- 9th grade algebra - Can you explain how to find the solutions to the following ...
- Algebra 2 - Can someone help me with this equation please? The directions are: ...
- Algebra - I have an assignment that asks me to write an equation in slope-...
- Quick math help - My math exam is coming up Friday and I need help!! Can you ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- algebra[please check] - in questions 1 and 2, write an equation of the line in ...
- calculus - use symmetry to evaluate the double integral (1+x^2siny+y^2sinx)dA, R...
- Algebra.. - HELP. Problems 4 - 7: Write an equation for the line in point/slope ...
- Algebra2 - Help? Write an equation for the line in point/slope form and slope/...