Posted by anthony on Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 7:02pm.
i need help with these problems please
which is the numeral set for [2x-]<5
math - Cianán, Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 8:08pm
You can treat greater than and less than signs kind of like equals signs by you can multiply both sides by a number and not change the result or add the same thing to both sides and not change the result.
The only thing you have to be careful about is when you multiply by -1 as the direction of the > or < changes.
6 - 2x < 4
- 2x < 4 - 6
- 2x < -2
When I multiply both sides by -1 the less than becomes a greater than.
2x > 2
x > 1
If you want the reason why the direction changes reply back to this.
Ok, part 2:
2x < 5
therefore x < 5/2
x < 2.5
1: -4<x<1 This interval is on the above interval
2: x<-4 or x>1 doesn't as x can't be larger than 2.5 so x>1 fails.
3: -1<x<4 doesn't work as 4 is > 2.5
so it fails
4: x<-1 or x>4 doesn't work as x>4 fails as x cannot be greater than 2.5
Ok, hope that helps!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math b - i need help with these problems please [6-2x]<4 which is the numeral...
- Math - I need help to set the equation up to solve a system to ensure that I get...
- math - please help I have no ideal how to do this convert the numeral to a ...
- math - 4 digit number. numeral in tens place 3 times the numeral in hundreds ...
- math - conver the numeral to a numeral in base 10 1101 basetwo can some one plz ...
- Math - write numeral as hindu- arabic numeral _ XMMDCLXII
- math - I need the answers to the why did the banana go out with the prune ...
- explorations in math - convert the numeral to a numeral in base 10 14 5
- math - convert the numeral to a numeral in base 10
- math - convert the numeral to a numeral in base 10 13 5