Posted by Lauren on Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 9:27pm.
I know the answer, but is there a formula to show work?
Amy had a piece of wire 96 inches long. She cut the wire into 3 pieces. The second piece was 6 inches longer than the first piece. The third piece is 9 inches longer than the second. What was the length of each piece of wire?
The answers I got were 25,31,40. But it was from trial and error from 3/96=32
- Math word problem - Reiny, Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 9:35pm
first piece : x
second piece : x+6
third piece : (x+6)+9 = x+15
x + x+6 + x+15 = 96
3x = 75
x = 25
- Math word problem - DrBob222, Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 9:39pm
F = length of FIRST piece.
S = length of SECOND piece.
T = length of THIRD piece.
F + S + T = 96
In addition we know,
S = F+6
T = S+9 which = F+6 + 9.
Substitute into F + S + T = 96
F + F+6 + F + 6 + 9.
Solve for F, then S, then T.
The answers are the same as yours by trial and error.
- Math word problem - Kaday, Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 10:12pm
A 92 inch ribbon is cut in 3 pieces the longest peice is 28 inches longer than the shortest peice and the third piece is half the length of the longest piece what is the length of each peice
- Math word problem - Anonymous, Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 10:09am
a 50 inch piece of rope i cut into three pieces so the second piece is one longer than twice the first and the third is four times as long as the first
- Math word problem - jean, Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 7:45pm
Difference in length between the longest ribbon and the shortest ribbon is what in yards
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - how many inches long is the radius of the largest circle that can fit...
- Algebraic Polynomials - I don't know where to go about creating a polynomial ...
- math problem - A piece of wire 24 cm long is cut into two pieces and each piece...
- math - a piece of wire 24 ft. long is cut into two pieces. one piece is made ...
- Calculus - a piece of wire 12 ft. long is cut into two pieces. one piece is made...
- Calculus - A piece of wire 40 m long is cut into two pieces. One piece is bent ...
- Math - A piece of wire 27/32 inches in length is cut into 3 equal pieces . How ...
- Math - A piece of wire 12 m long is cut into 2 pieces. One piece is bent into ...
- Calculus - A wire 7 meters long is cut into two pieces. One piece is bent into ...
- Calculus - A wire 4 meters long is cut into two pieces. One piece is bent into a...