Posted by E.G. on Friday, November 28, 2008 at 1:32pm.
I know that "I would like to have a book" translates to:
"je voudrais avoir un livre"
But if I would like to say that I would HAVE LIKED to have a book, would it be:
"j'ai voudrais avoir un livre"???? And, if so, how is it for the other pronouns?
Does only the "avoir" conjugate or the "voudrais" as well?
tu as voudrais avoir un livre
il a voudrait avoir un livre
nous avons voudrions un livre,?? etc.
Somehow the "nous" sentence doesn't sound correct to me.
Merci de votre aide.
- FRENCH - E.G., Friday, November 28, 2008 at 2:21pm
It would be nice if there were a past participle for the condtionnel as well.
(or, perhaps, there is?!)
- FRENCH - SraJMcGin, Friday, November 28, 2008 at 4:38pm
Take one more look at the English, "I WOULD HAVE liked." The auxiliary (helping) verb is in the Conditional and then the past participle of "vouloir" follows. "J'aurais voulu avoir un livre.
Here is the Present Perfect = I have liked = j'ai voulu
Here is the Past Perfect = I had liked = J'avais voulu
Here is the Future Perfect = I will have liked = J'aurai voulu
Here is the Conditional Perfect = I would have liked = J'aurais voulu
See how the auxiliary changes. If the verb uses être in compound tenses, it's the same idea: present, imperfect, future, conditional of that helping verb, followed by the past participle.
Now, let's take the "nous" = we would have liked to have? = Nous aurions voulu avoir
Think you have it? For your last remark, you COULD say "there is a past participle WITH the Conditional!
Sra (aka Mme)
- FRENCH - E.G., Friday, November 28, 2008 at 5:34pm
Oh, I see! So for my example you would then simply use the conditionnel of "avoir" and the past participle of "vouloir".
Ingenious - I like it!!
Thank you so very, very much!!!!!
Answer this Question
- FRENCH - so, if I would like to say: You cannot give us a book (you are unable ...
- Japanese language help - I have marked my answer with a â˜…, if I am wrong could...
- French - I need to translate this paragraph. Can someone check my work? I didn't...
- French - In the book it says: ce livre est à toi could I not also say: ce livre ...
- French - If I wanted to say "Overall, I really liked the movie", would I use "...
- Algebra Help - I have a question regarding this problem below? I noticed it in ...
- FRENCH - I know that "prendre" and "emporter"(for portable items) both mean "to ...
- English - IS this agood essay A major theme in the book Of Mice And Men is the ...
- language arts - I have another question on object of the preposition. In the ...
- English - I am in the 7th grade and I love books that are fiction. Here are some...