Posted by steve alexander on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 8:41pm.
An automobile with seven years of use has a commercial value of $34057.7, but five years ago its value was $72250. If the value of such automobile varies exponentially with the time. (36-41)
36.- What was the value of the automobile when it was new?
37.- What will be the value of the automobile after 10 years of use?
38.- How many years of use will the automobile have with a value of $10277?
39.- After how long of use does the value of the automobile reduce to the half?
40.- After how many years of use the value of the automobile reduces to the fourth part of its initial value?
41.- After how many years of use does the value of the automobile reduce to the third part of its initial velocity?
- calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 10:35pm
the general equation would be
value = a(e)^(kt) where a is the initital vaue, and k is a constant
you end up with 2 equations:
34057.7 = a(e)^(7k) --- equation #1
72250 = a(e)^(5k) ----- eqution #2
I divided #1 by #2 to get .4713865 = e^2k
and got k = -.37604 using logs
put that back into #2 I got a = 473581
(a very unreasonable price for an automobile, but then again after 5 years it was still worth $72,000)
so now we have
Value = 473581(e)^-.37604t
and you can find any of the other answers quite easily.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - X. An automobile with seven years of use has a commercial value of $...
- Math(Please check) - The value of an automobile was $15,780 in 1994 and ...
- math - For tax purposes, you may have to report the value of your assets, such ...
- ALG 2/Trig - A new $12,000 automobile decreases in value every year. What is it'...
- Calculus - The median value of a home in a particular market is decreasing ...
- Math (functions) - For tax purposes, you may have to report the value of your ...
- College Algebra - Value of Computer Software The value V, in dollars, of a ...
- interest - an inheritance will be 20000. the interest rate for the the time ...
- Calculus - I am confused on how to solve this problem : $5000 is invested for 4 ...
- finance - A 5-year annuity of ten $4500 semiannual payments will begin 9 years ...