Posted by steve alexander on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 7:45pm.
the population of a country is 65 millions if it grows exponentially in a rate of 1.5% annual
1.-calculate the estimate population in 12 years
2.-when the population increases 4 times
could somebody please explain me this kind of problems where you need to use the log and please tell me the answers
- precalculus - Craig, Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 7:59pm
1. .015*65*12+65=76.7 million
2. 4*65=260 million
- precalculus - drwls, Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 8:03pm
1. Multiply 65 million by (1.015)^12
(1.015^12 = 1.1956)
2. Multiply 65 million by 4.
You don't need to use log for the second one.
You can to 1. with a log table or with a hand calculator (as I did).
If you use logs:
Log (answer) = log (65 million) + 12 log 1.015
Then take the antilog
You will learn more if you do the calculations yourself than if I gave you the numerical answers.
- precalculus - North, Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 3:09am
P = population in millions
t = time in years
Population growth is continuous. For continuous compounding use the formula:
P = 65*e^(.015t)
For the population in 12 years we have:
P = 65*e^(.015*12) = 65*e^(.18)
P = 77.8 million
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - The population of a certain country grows according to the formula N=N0e^...
- Precalculus - The population of the US in 1850 was 23191876. In 1900, the ...
- calculus - The population of a country was 8.4 million people in 2000. Three ...
- algebra - neil was growin a culture of a bacteria for biology experiement. he ...
- algebra - neil was growing a culture of bacteria for a biology experiment. he ...
- Calculus - The rate of growth of a particular population is given by dP/dt=50t^2...
- POPULATION - If a population consists of 10,000 individuals at time t=0 years (...
- Calculus - The CIA published data about foreign countries on its web page. In ...
- Math Calculus Help - A population grows exponentially. If the population is 0....
- math - The population P in 1995 for a state is given along with r, its annual ...