Posted by qwerty on Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 10:58pm.
i know how to write/make explicit formulas but i have tried long and hard to find the formula for the sequence 2,7,15,26,40 i know that it increases by "3 more than the last increase" every time but i cant write a equation for it.
it describes the number of total cards of a cardhouse as each bottom layer is added
- math/algebra - Reiny, Friday, November 21, 2008 at 7:42am
I don't know what method you use, but I noticed that the second differences for the data is a constant 3, as you noted.
That tells us that the data can be expressed by a quadratic function
let the function by y = ax^2 + bx + c
and sub in (1,2),(2,7), and (3,15), the first 3 given values.
this gives you 3 equations in 3 unknowns which solve quite nicely to
a = 3/2
b = 1/2
c = 0
so the function is y = (3/2)x^2 + x/2
y = (3x^2 + x)/2
test it for the last value, it works.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - Could someone check my work; 1. Generate the first five terms in the ...
- algebra - a student write that an=3n+1 is a explicit formula for the sequence 1,...
- MATH - Write the explicit formula for the geometric sequence. 8,6,4 1/2, 3 3/8 ...
- another question algebra - write an explicit formula for the sequence 7,2,-3,-8...
- Algebra - A = - 113 and A = -213 20 40 this is an arithmetic sequence and i have...
- algebra 2 - write an explicit formula for the sequence of 1/2, 3/7, 1/3, 5/19, 3...
- math Help plz - 1.Given a geometric sequence with a_1=6 and r=2/3, write an ...
- Algebra - Write a recursive formula for the following sequences: 1) 1,6,11,16...
- math30 - Sequences 1)A sequence has a first term of 24 and every other term is ...
- alg - write the explicit formula for the sequence 7,2,-3,-8,-13 and find a 14