Posted by Celina on Friday, November 14, 2008 at 5:49pm.
Here's another problem I'm having a little trouble with:
A piece of string is 40 cm long. It is cut into three pieces. The longest piece is 3 times as long as the middle-sized piece, and the shortest piece is 23 cm shorter than the longest piece. Find the lengths of the three pieces.
What could be an equation I could write?
Thank you so much!
- Algebra - Damon, Friday, November 14, 2008 at 6:31pm
call the middle size m
then the long piece is 3 m
and the short piece is 3m-23
(3m-23) + m + 3m = 40
7 m -23 = 40
solve for m
- Algebra - Reiny, Friday, November 14, 2008 at 6:33pm
let the shortest piece be x cm
<the shortest piece is 23 cm shorter than the longest piece> or
the longest piece is 23 more than the shortest piece,
so longest = x+23
<The longest piece is 3 times as long as the middle-sized piece> or
the middle piece is 1/3 of the longest piece,
so middle piece = 1/3(x+23)
then x + (x+23) + 1/3(x+23) = 40
(I get x=4, for the shortest piece of 4 cm)
- Algebra - Celina, Friday, November 14, 2008 at 6:36pm
- Algebra - Rachael, Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 3:36pm
whats the answer?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - A ribbon 106 inches long is cut into three pieces. The middle-sized ...
- algebra - Three pieces of wood are needed for project. They are to be cut from a...
- Algebra - A rope 116 inches is cut into three pieces.The middle-sized piece is ...
- Math - Three pieces of wood are needed for a project. They are to be cut from a ...
- math - Three pieces of wood are needed for a project. They are to be cut from a ...
- math - A pipe is 42 inches long. It is to be cut into three pieces such that the...
- Algebra - A 36-meter rope is divided into three pieces. One piece is twice as ...
- algebra - A 28-inch board is to be cut into three pieces so that the ...
- algebra - a woodworking project calls for three pieces. the longest piece is ...
- algebra - A 120-foot-long rope is cut into 3 pieces. The first piece of rope is ...