Posted by erin on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 at 7:09pm.
what are the four properties that can be used to classify elements?
- science - SraJMcGin, Wednesday, November 12, 2008 at 7:28pm
Try the following:
- science - bobpursley, Wednesday, November 12, 2008 at 7:32pm
I get perturbed that someone has told you that there are four properties that can be used to classify elements. Total nonsense. Classifying elements is arbritrary.
Common ways include
By families, which have similar chemical and physical properties.
By metal or non metal character.
By atomic number
By atomic mass(this was the original way Mendelevv classified them).
By physical state at room temperature (solid, liquid, gas)
By nuclear stability
- science - Awesome, Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 4:40am
There are actually quite a few that can be used to classify elements:
- atomic weight
- atomic mass
- chemical symbol (eg. Magnesium is Mg)
- metal or non-metal
- physical state (solid, liquid or gas)
Hope this helps! If your keen to have only 4
i would say the first 4 i have listed are the most important.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- science - 1) What conclusions can be drawn about the relationship between the ...
- science - 3. A section of the Periodic Table of the Elements is shown. Based on ...
- Science - What conclusion can be drawn about the relationship between the ...
- science - name 3 properties that can be used to classify unknown substances
- science - One property used to broadly classify elements is malleability. If a ...
- science 4th grade - How are the properties of the compound water different from ...
- Science - how do the properties of compounds often compare with the properties ...
- science - What does the statement "the properties of salt are different from ...
- 5th grade science - what does the statement "the properties of salts are ...
- science - what does the statement " the properties of salts are different from ...