Posted by i love polka on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 at 9:52pm.
suppose that we agree to pay you 8cents for every problem in this chapter that you solve correctly and fine you 5cents for every problem done incorrectly, if the end of 26 problems we do not you each other any money, how many problems did you do?
- math - Reiny, Tuesday, November 11, 2008 at 10:33pm
8x = 5(26-x)
solve for x
- math - i love polka, Tuesday, November 11, 2008 at 11:15pm
a thief steals a number of rare plants from a nursery, on the way out the thief meets three security guards, one after another, to each security guard, the thief is forced to give one-half the plants that he still has, plus 2 more, the theif is left with one plant, how many plants were originally stolen?
so this is how i set it up:
and i get zero which is wrong
- math - Reiny, Tuesday, November 11, 2008 at 11:30pm
Your equation makes no sense to me
Look at it this way :
suppose he stole x plants
after passing the first guard he has left:
.5x - 2
after passing the second guard he has left:
after passing the third guard he has left:
.5[.5(.5x-2)-2] - 2
but this equals 1, so
.5[.5(.5x-2)-2] - 2 = 1
solving this I got x=36
to the first guard he gives 18+2, leaving him with 16
to the second guard he gives 8+2, leaving him with 6
to the third guard he gives 3+2, leaving with with 1
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Suppose that we strike a bargain, and we agree that in this chapter, for ...
- Algebra - How can algebra be used to solve this problem? The boy solved 10 ...
- math - can not get the solution for this problem...amortization what ...
- Math - Am having trouble figuring out how to work this problem. We are currently...
- Math: is it? is it not? - Is this math problem hard? - There are 12 brothers ...
- Algebra - I cannot solve the problem please help me. I'm suppose to set the ...
- Math - Alegbra 2 some1 plz help? - in a certain math class, each student has a ...
- Algebra, help please!!! - Fill in the following blanks to find other expressions...
- math 106 - what amortization payment would be required every month, at 12% ...
- Math - Kenneth has 22 math problems to do for homework. He has 12 problems done....