Posted by George on Friday, November 7, 2008 at 12:43am.
(A) Find the equations of the tangent lines to the circle x^2 +y^2=25 at the points where x=4.
(B) Find the equations of the normal lines to this circle at the same points. (The normal line is perpendicular to the tangent line at that point.)
(C) At what point do the two normal lines intersect?
For part A, I found that
16 + y 2= 25
y 2= 9
For part B,I'm not sure whether it is y=-4/3x
For part C Not sure how to do it.
- Calculus - asia, Friday, November 7, 2008 at 3:02am
I solved the question in A but please check..
first of all you have to find y while x=4 and as you find y^2=25-16=9 and y=3
then you have to find slope. It's derivative of y function so
if we write 3 instead of x we will get m(slope) as -4/3.
the tangent line equation
- Calculus - asia, Friday, November 7, 2008 at 4:00am
solution for part B
for the normal line equation firstly you have to find again slope. product of tangentline's slope and normal line's slope must be -1.
line's slope= 3/4
the line equation is
Answer this Question
- Calculus Help Please!!! - --- Find the slope m of the tangent to the curve y = ...
- math - Find two point on a circle x^2+y^2=1 where the slope of the tangent line ...
- Calculus - Find equations of the tangent lines at all inflection points of the ...
- Geometry - Prove that the tangents to a circle at the endpoints of a diameter ...
- Geometry - I have a circle with 2 lines that are connected and tangent to the ...
- Mathematics - In an orthonormal system, you're given the following: Point P(1,2...
- Maths - In an orthonormal system, you're given the following: Point P(1,2) Lina ...
- math - can u help this the qustion is : A circle passes through the points (1,4...
- steev - can u help this the qustion is : A circle passes through the points (1,4...
- calculus - Let L and M be two perpendicular lines tangent to a circle with ...