Posted by George on Friday, November 7, 2008 at 12:43am.
(A) Find the equations of the tangent lines to the circle x^2 +y^2=25 at the points where x=4.
(B) Find the equations of the normal lines to this circle at the same points. (The normal line is perpendicular to the tangent line at that point.)
(C) At what point do the two normal lines intersect?
For part A, I found that
16 + y 2= 25
y 2= 9
For part B,I'm not sure whether it is y=-4/3x
For part C Not sure how to do it.
- Calculus - asia, Friday, November 7, 2008 at 3:02am
I solved the question in A but please check..
first of all you have to find y while x=4 and as you find y^2=25-16=9 and y=3
then you have to find slope. It's derivative of y function so
if we write 3 instead of x we will get m(slope) as -4/3.
the tangent line equation
- Calculus - asia, Friday, November 7, 2008 at 4:00am
solution for part B
for the normal line equation firstly you have to find again slope. product of tangentline's slope and normal line's slope must be -1.
line's slope= 3/4
the line equation is
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry - Prove that the tangents to a circle at the endpoints of a diameter ...
- math - Find two point on a circle x^2+y^2=1 where the slope of the tangent line ...
- Ap Calc AB - Find the equation of the line normal to the curve at (0,0). (Normal...
- Mathematics - In an orthonormal system, you're given the following: Point P(1,2...
- Maths - In an orthonormal system, you're given the following: Point P(1,2) Lina ...
- calculus - Find equations for the lines that are tangent and normal to the graph...
- calculus - Let L and M be two perpendicular lines tangent to a circle with ...
- calculus - Find the equations for the lines tangent to the ellipse 4x^2+y^2=72 ...
- geometry - find the slope of a line that passes through the following points. (4...
- calculus - Given that x3-axy+3ay2=3a3 Find the equations for the tangent and ...