Posted by jamis on Thursday, November 6, 2008 at 7:40am.
what are articles and how are they used in the english language.
2)form 3 simple,compound and complex sentences
- English language - Writeacher, Thursday, November 6, 2008 at 7:56am
The articles in English are the following:
* a (used in front of a word that begins with a consonant)
* an (used in front of a word that begins with a vowel)
Here are some good exercises to learn how to use these: http://english-zone.com/index.php?ID=21
Simple sentences have one independent clause. "Jack hit a homerun."
Compound sentences have two independent clauses and are usually joined by a coordinating conjunction (FANBOYS). "Jack hit a homerun, and he was the game's hero."
Complex sentences have one independent and at least one dependent clause in them. "When he least expected it, Jack hit a homerun."
- english language - Victor, Thursday, November 6, 2008 at 7:58am
An article is a word that combines with a noun to indicate the type of reference being made by the noun. The three most common are, in no specific order: the, an & a.
When you say 3 simple,compound and complex sentences, do you mean 1 or 3 of each?
- english language - SraJMcGin, Thursday, November 6, 2008 at 9:29am
P.S. I like to say:
The DEFINITE article is the. The book. The chair. The girls.
The INDEFINITE article is a, an. a book, a chair, an apple, etc.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - Identify the structure used in each of the sentences below. 1. The ...
- english - would you pl explain conditional sentences and simple compound and ...
- Language arts check answers - If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. simple ...
- English - Choose the term that describes the type of sentence shown. If you are ...
- English - Identify the following sentences as simple,compound,complex, or ...
- english - You've been assigned to invite a group of mechanical engineering ...
- English - If you've been assigned to invite a group of mechanical engineering ...
- 5th grade Language Arts - I need help classifying sentences (compound, complex, ...
- English - Are these sentences simple, compound, complex, or compound complex? 1...
- English-Grammar - Although he was born in Scotland, he became a hero of the ...