Posted by JC on Thursday, November 6, 2008 at 6:26am.
Sorry for posting so many, but I just need to make sure I'm on the right track.
Just need someone to check my working and answers.
A rocket has a mass 3000kg. The fuel used in the rocket has an additonal mass of 500kg. At the launch, the rocket accelerates at 4m/s/s. Using 10m/s/s as gravity.
a) Calculate the net force on the rocket.
f=ma (Newton's 2nd Law)
=3500 x 4
b) What is the weight of the rocket at launch?
=3500 x 10
c) Determine the upward force exerted by the rocket motors at the instant of the launch
F(net)=W + F(up)
=35000 + (4 x 35000)
d) The rocket takes 3 minutes to burn all of it's fuel. If the rocket motors suply a constant force, would you expect the acceleration to remain constant during the first 3 minutes. Explain your answer.
No. If the rocket takes 3 mintues to burn all of it's fuel, during that time, the mass of the fuel decreases. Since the force remains the same thorughout the 3 mintues, the rocket will accelerate when there is less mass.
e) the upward force acting on the rocket after the fuel tank beocme empty.
f)the acceleration of the rocket after this instant.
10m/s/s due to gravity.
- Physics - drwls, Thursday, November 6, 2008 at 7:50am
Check your decimal poing on (c). You went from 14,000 net force to 140,000
d) The acceleration rate increases as the mass (including fuel) decreases
e) is correct. So is (f). Upward thrust ends when the fuel is gone
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- physics, please help check - A rocket car is traveling on a linear horizontal ...
- physics - i need help figuring out what formaula to use for finding the final ...
- Physics (Checking answe) - Sorry for re-posting but I need to know if I did it ...
- Physics - sorry to keep posting this, but I have an assignment based on these ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the number of moles of carbon atoms present in 2.2 g of ...
- Physics - A model rocket is fired vertically from the ground with a constant ...
- English - Ms.Sue can you check my answers,I just want to make sure they were ...
- Physics - The solid fuel of a 300.kg rocket travelling at 1.64x104 km/h is ...
- Physics - A rocket whish is in deep space and initially at rest relative to an ...
- physics - Model rocket engines are sized by thrust, thrust duration, and total ...