Posted by Angellove on Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 12:57pm.
Hi! I have a question! I forgot how to do these two problems, and I need some help in solving them! Thanks so much!
1.) Find the first 5 terms of the sequence given by a1=2, an=3an-1 -1.
(It's: a sub 1 =2, a sub n= 3a sub n-1 -1)
Does that make sense?
If not, that's ok. I'll to clarify more if it's still strange (which it is, I know!)
Math (pre-calculus) - drwls, Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 1:26pm
asub1 = 2 is the first term
asubn can be calculated fron asubn-1, using the formula you prodided
asubn = 3 asubn-1 -1
Thus a sub2 = 3 asub1 - 1 = 5
asub3 = 3 asub2 -1 = 14
asub4 = 3 asub3 -1 = 41
asub5 = ?
Math (pre-calculus) - Angellove, Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 1:34pm
Okay!! I think I got it!!! Thank you so much! I'm gonna solve the 5 terms, and write them up here! :) Tell me how I did!
Math (pre-calculus) - Angellove, Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 1:37pm
a sub2= 3(2)-1=5
a sub3= 3(5)-1=14
a sub4= 3(14)-1=41
a sub5= 3(41)-1=122
I think that's it! Thanks so much again!
Math (pre-calculus) - drwls, Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 2:13pm
Looks good to me!
It's interestng that the differences between adjacent terms are powers of 3:
Math (pre-calculus) - adrienne, Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 5:32pm
The monthly cost (in dollars) of water use is a linear function of the amount of water used (in hundreds of cubic feet, HCF). The cost for using 18 HCF of water is $33.44 , and the cost for using 35 HCF is $61.49. What is the cost for using 27 HCF of water?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - this is a difficult question for me please help! thankyou A sequence is ...
- math asap - this is a difficult question for me please help! thankyou A sequence...
- Urgent math - Find the first five terms of the given recursively defined ...
- precalculus - Find the first five terms of the given recursively defined ...
- Math - Find the first five terms of the sequence for which a1=5,and an+1=3an+1. ...
- Math - Question 1 Write the first four terms of the sequence whose general term...
- Math PLEASE HELP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - Question 1 Write the first four terms ...
- Math - an = 3n - 1 Answer 2, 3, 4, 5 2, 5, 8, 11 -2, -5, -8, -11 4, 7, 10, 13 3...
- Math - Please help me with my midterm review my teacher was out sick today and ...
- Algebra help - I need some help I posted the first question to this a bit ago ...