Posted by Angellove on Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 12:57pm.
Hi! I have a question! I forgot how to do these two problems, and I need some help in solving them! Thanks so much!
1.) Find the first 5 terms of the sequence given by a1=2, an=3an-1 -1.
(It's: a sub 1 =2, a sub n= 3a sub n-1 -1)
Does that make sense?
If not, that's ok. I'll to clarify more if it's still strange (which it is, I know!)
- Math (pre-calculus) - drwls, Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 1:26pm
asub1 = 2 is the first term
asubn can be calculated fron asubn-1, using the formula you prodided
asubn = 3 asubn-1 -1
Thus a sub2 = 3 asub1 - 1 = 5
asub3 = 3 asub2 -1 = 14
asub4 = 3 asub3 -1 = 41
asub5 = ?
- Math (pre-calculus) - Angellove, Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 1:34pm
Okay!! I think I got it!!! Thank you so much! I'm gonna solve the 5 terms, and write them up here! :) Tell me how I did!
- Math (pre-calculus) - Angellove, Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 1:37pm
a sub2= 3(2)-1=5
a sub3= 3(5)-1=14
a sub4= 3(14)-1=41
a sub5= 3(41)-1=122
I think that's it! Thanks so much again!
- Math (pre-calculus) - drwls, Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 2:13pm
Looks good to me!
It's interestng that the differences between adjacent terms are powers of 3:
- Math (pre-calculus) - adrienne , Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 5:32pm
The monthly cost (in dollars) of water use is a linear function of the amount of water used (in hundreds of cubic feet, HCF). The cost for using 18 HCF of water is $33.44 , and the cost for using 35 HCF is $61.49. What is the cost for using 27 HCF of water?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra help - I need some help I posted the first question to this a bit ago ...
- Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry - For the sequence an = 4n + 5: find: the first five ...
- math - in an arithmetic sequence the common difference is equal to 2.the first ...
- Algebra - I have a few problems I need some help with. The first is Evaluate ...
- URGET!! - DOING A 20 QUESTION MATH TEST AND GOT STUCK ON THESE PROBLEMS!!:( 1....
- pre-calculus urgent - The first term of an arithmetic sequence is 6, and the ...
- Algebra - Need to get these problems checked-- 21. Suppose inflation of money is...
- Math for Educators - The first difference of a sequence is 8, 12, 16, 20,... The...
- Math Help - Hi! I need help with these two questions. Thanks! 1.) Look for the ...
- math - The first and second terms of an exponential sequence (G.P) are ...