Posted by amanda on Friday, October 31, 2008 at 7:07pm.
a)indium-115 has a half life of 4.5 hours. if you start with a 12.0-mg sample of indium-115, how much will remain after 13.5 hours?
b)how much of a 3.50-mg smaple of nickel-63 will remain after 368 years? the half-life of nickel-63 is 92 years?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, October 31, 2008 at 8:11pm
There is a short way and a long way of doing these. The short way is easy if the numbers are right. In this case they are.
a) Note that 13.5/4.5 = 3.00 half lives; therefore, 1/2 of 12.0 mg sample = 6.0 mg left after the first half life, 1/2 of that = 3.0 mg left after the 2nd half life and 1/2 of that = 1.5 mg left after the 3rd half life.
b) This is done the same way if you notice that 368 years/92 years = 4.00 half lives.
Here is the long way of doing them when the number of half lives is not an even number.
k = 0.693/t1/2
ln(No/N) = kt
So, for the first one,
k = 0.693/t1/2
k = 0.693/4.5 = 0.154
Then substitute into the other equation for k you've just calculated.
ln((No/N) = kt
ln(12.0/N) = 0.154*13.5
ln(12.0/N) = 2.079
Take the antilog of both sides.
12.0/N = 8.0
N = 12.0/8.0 = 1.5 mg
The b part is done the same way the long way, too.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - indium-115 has a half life of 4.5 hours, if you start with a 12.0mg ...
- Physics - So we did this lab about how we are to measure the half life of the ...
- math - The radioactive isotope sodium-24 is used as a tracer to measure the rate...
- physics - The half-life of a certain radioactive isotope is 32 hours.What ...
- Chemistry - The half-life of xe-133 is 126 hours. Starting with 250 mg, after ...
- Chemistry-help please! - The half-life of Xe-133 is 126 hours. Starting with 250...
- MATH - solving exponential equations - The half-life of sodium-24 is 14.9 hours...
- science - A half-life of mercury-195 is 31 hours. If you start with a sample of ...
- Chemistry - Potassium-42 has a half life of 12.4 hours. How much of an 848 g ...
- physical science - sodium-24 has a half life of 15 hours,how much of a 50 gram ...