Posted by John on Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 4:50pm.
1. Tom is angry at her.
1-2. Tom is angry with her.
(Which one is correct?)
2. He is wearing a white shirt.
2-2. He is wearing a dress shirt.
2-3 He is wearing an under shirt.
(Which one is correct? Do #2 and #2-2 have the same meaning? Why do we use 'dress' for a man's clothing?)
3. Do you have any plans for the weekend?
3-2. Do you have any plan for the weekend?
(Which one is correct? Are both OK? Do we have to use a singular noun or a plural noun?)
4. Who protec us from them?
4-2. Who protects us from them?
(Which one is correct? Which one is grammatically correct?)
5. He's got a cold and he coughs a lot.
5-2. He's got cold and he coughed a lot.
(Which one is correct?)
6. Do you have a toothache? Why don't you go to the dentist?
6-2. Do you have a toothache? Why don't you go to the dentist's office?
6-3. Do you have a toothache? Why don't you go to the dentist's?
6-4. Do you have a toothache? Why don't you go to see a dentist?
(Which one is right?)
English - Writeacher, Thursday, October 30, 2008 at 5:10pm
#1 - I prefer the second one although I've heard both.
#2 - All three are correct, depending on what you mean. A white shirt is just that, and it could be worn to the office or wherever. A dress shirt means a shirt to be worn with a suit or tuxedo.
#3 - Both are OK, but the first one is more commonly used.
#4 - The second one is correct.
#5 - It's better to say, "He has a cold, and he coughs a lot." Or "He has a cold and coughs a lot."
#6 - The first one is the best; the fourth one is not bad if you delete "to."
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English expression - She is wearing a patterned sweater. Amy is wearing a plain ...
- English - I wrote 5 sentences for you to check. Thank you. 1) In their ...
- English - Can you let me know if the sentences below are grammatically correct? ...
- English expression - 1. My father is wearing a white shirt. 2. My father is ...
- English - 1. They wear pink and white stripe uniforms. 2. They wear pink and ...
- English - Could you please check these few sentences? Thank you. 1) In the ...
- English - I left out the following sentences. Could you please check them? Thank...
- English - I urgently need you to check these sentences, please. 1.The second boy...
- English - Can you please check if the following corrections are OK? Thank you ...
- English - Thank you very much for your last corrections. Here are some sentences...