Posted by John on .
1. Who protect our country from them?
1-2. Who protects our country from them?
(Which one is correct? Are both grammatical?)
2. There is a book shop at the corner.
2-1. There is a bookshop at the corner.
(Which one is right?)
3. Jenny is a female name, and Terry is a male name, aren't they?
4. I don't find any beauty shop in that building.
4-1. I can't find any beauty shop in that building.
(Which one is a common expression? Is #4 used commonly? Are both the same?)
5. Do you know about the movie "The Matrix"? What is the meaning of 'matrix' here?
For the first set, the second one is correct. For number three, the correct scentence is: Jenny is a female name; and Terry is a male name. Aren't they?
For number 4, the second one is correct.
For number five the meaning of matrix is the title of a movie.
Both book shop and bookshop are used.
In #4 both are used.
Here is a definition of matrix:
"1 : something within or from which something else originates, develops, or takes form " It is from the Latin Mater or mother. In the movie by that name, something originates from something else.