Posted by NIQUEFROMDALLAS on Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 9:36pm.
This is the exact problem from the paper and I got an answer of 4.2 * 10^7 and I was wondering if this was the right answer.
What is the height above the earth's surface at which all synchronous satellites (regardless of mass) must be placed in orbit? The period of synchronous satellites is one day. The radius of the earth 6.36(10)6m
PHYSICS - bobpursley, Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 9:43pm
That is high. Did you work if from the Earth's surface, for from the center of Earth?
PHYSICS - Damon, Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 9:53pm
where is m v^2/r = G M m/r^2
as you said, m cancels
v^2 = G M/r
T = 24 h *3600 s/h = 86,400 s
2 pi r = v T = 86,400 v
r = 13,751 v
v^3 = G M/13,751 = 6.67*10^-11 * 6*10^24/1.38*10^4
v^3 = 29*10^9
v = 3.07 * 10^3
then r = 4.24 * 10^7
eight = (10^7 )(4.24 - .636) = 3.6 *10&
remember to subtract the radius of earth to get the altitude.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A 715 kg object is lifted from the surface of the earth to a height of...
- Physics - The mean radius of the Earth is R=6.38x10^6m. At what distance above ...
- Physics - I thought I did the problem right, but I don't think I came out with ...
- Physics - Calculate the force of gravity on a spacecraft 19200 km (3 earth radii...
- Physics (please check) - A 6.0kg block is released from rest 80m above the ...
- Physics - A spy satellite is in circular orbit around Earth. It makes one ...
- Physics - What is the Earth's gravitational force on you when you are standing ...
- physics - An airplane is flying above the Earth's surface at a height of 10.9 km...
- Physics - A 360-kg satellite is in orbit around the Earth 10000 km above the ...
- Physics - A 6.80 x 10^4 kg space shuttle moving at 7.90 x 10^4 m/s reenters the ...