Posted by Olivea on Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 12:31pm.
I'm not really sure on how to prove statements are right with properties as reasons. How would you solve this?
If x + c = 0, then x = -c
2. (x+c)+(-c) = 0 + (-c)
3. x + [c+(-c)] = 0 + (-c)
4. x + 0 = 0 + (-c)
5. x = (-c)
Would 5 be the substitution property?
- Math Help - Olivea, Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 12:37pm
Does that mean 1 would be be reasoned by the substitution property?
- Math Help - Anonymous, Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 12:43pm
yes i think thats correct coz when we do this sum ,,,we do it in this way
-c -c (subtracting x both side)
that is x=-c
- Math Help - Olivea, Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 12:51pm
Oh, thank you. For number 2, I originally had the definition of addition, but I was marked wrong. I'm not very sure, but wouldn't it be considered the definition of addition if you were adding (-c) to both sides? And also, in this case x+c would equal 0 so that would be the reason you are substituting 0 for x+c in number 2 as well. I don't really understand properties..
- Math Help - Anonymous, Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 1:33pm
yes that's it/......u got it
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics (geometry bit) - h t t p : / / i m g 4 3 . i m a g e s h a c k . u s / i...
- Math - please show me how to do this... A statement Sn about the positive ...
- Acc220 - I am not sure how to start the paragraph on explaining balance sheets, ...
- geometry - Given: AC perpendicular BD and AB congruent CB. Prove AD congruent CD...
- Quick math help - I'm on the topic of "Algebra proofs". Is this statement an ...
- math - prove the following: given: ABCD is a trapezoid with bases BC and AD to ...
- Geometry / Proofs - Given: Triangle ABC with AD bisecting angle BAC, and AE is ...
- GEOMETRY HELP ASAP!!!! - what are the missing reasons in the 2 column proof? ...
- Geometry - I need the statements and reasons for this: ABCD is a parallelogram ...
- Math - A student states that for any positive integer n the sum of n successive ...